Navajo Nation Preparing For 8th-Straight Weekend Lockdown
WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. – The Navajo Nation reported eight additional deaths and 100 new cases of COVID-19 as it prepared for another 57-hour weekend curfew and lockdown.
As of Friday, the coronavirus has killed 167 people on the reservation since the beginning of the pandemic.
There were 5,044 cases of COVID-19 and 1,745 recoveries with more reports pending, according to a news release.
The Navajo Nation remains one of the country’s hardest-hit areas, recently surpassing New York for the highest infection rate in the country.
The reservation covers 25,000 square miles in the Four Corners area, which includes a portion of Utah’s San Juan County.
Tribal leaders have taken drastic steps to control the spread of the disease.
“The Navajo Nation is still fighting the battle against the virus. We remind our citizens to keep wearing protective masks, complying with the weekend lockdowns, staying home and staying six feet from individuals in public,” said Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez.
Beginning at 8 p.m. Friday, the Navajo Nation will enforce a 57-hour curfew and lockdown. It will be the eighth-straight weekend for the curfew. Officials will lift the order at 5 a.m. Monday.
“As we prepare for another weekend lockdown, please take care of one another. Ask family members who are elders or with underlying health conditions if they need help with errands, chores or essential shopping prior to the lockdown,” Vice President Myron Lizer said.
Lizer also reminded members to make sure families have enough food and water to last through the lockdown.
“Only one person in the household should be leaving home to complete shopping and errands. Always wear a face mask and stay six feet from others,” he added.
- Woman Missing Since November Found Alive In Diamond Fork Canyon (pageviews: 23901)
- Utah's Health Orders Terminated After Meeting 'Endgame Bill' Criteria (pageviews: 18455)
- Utah’s Health Orders Terminated After Meeting ‘Endgame Bill’ Criteria – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6648)
- Rare Wolverine Sighting Reported At Antelope Island State Park (pageviews: 6429)
- Salt Lake City Homeowners Set Trap, Catch Thief On Camera (pageviews: 5898)
- Venmo Scams: Protecting Yourself From Fraudsters – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4246)
- Woman Billed $2500 Repair Bill For Cracked Utility Box (pageviews: 3978)
- Woman Released From Hospital After Surviving 5 Months In The Wild (pageviews: 3845)
- Woman Missing Since November Found Alive In Diamond Fork Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3548)