First COVID-19 Case Confirmed In Utah State Prison
DRAPER, Utah – Officials with the Utah Department of Corrections said the first case of COVID-19 was confirmed at the Utah State Prison.
Officials said they received the positive test result on Friday. The inmate, a male between the ages of 18 and 24, arrived at the prison on Wednesday. He was listed in stable condition and had been isolated.
“The offender came into the facility as an intake from a county jail on May 27 and was tested and confirmed within 48 hours of arrival while housing with only a small group of others who came into the facility at the same time,” officials said.
They also said they will not be releasing the inmate’s name or his housing location.
Prison officials said they moved to a once-a-week intake day for those transferring from a county jail or adult parole & probation.
New intakes are tested shortly after their arrival and housed together for two weeks before being moved to the general population.
“We are working actively to contain any potential spread of COVID-19 within our facilities,” said Mike Haddon, executive director for the Utah Department of Corrections. “As this situation continues to evolve, you can be sure that we will continue to be responsive in making decisions that both ensure public safety and keep incarcerated individuals healthy.”
- Broadway Actor Nick Cordero Dies At 41 After Battle With COVID-19 (pageviews: 9890)
- Utah Teen Hospitalized, Battling Severe COVID-19 Symptoms (pageviews: 8901)
- Family Speaks Out After Daughter Was Allegedly Shot, Killed By Estranged Husband (pageviews: 7509)
- Gephardt: COVID-19 Causing Coin Shortage For Utah Retailers, Banks (pageviews: 5095)
- U Of U Researchers Discover Impacts Of COVID-19 On Blood (pageviews: 4517)
- Multiple New Fires Start Amid Fourth Of July Celebrations (pageviews: 4215)
- Black Lives Matter Billboard Vandalized In Draper (pageviews: 3513)
- State Reports 6 New Deaths, 517 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 3283)
- Four Dead After Small Plane Crashes In Utah County (pageviews: 3134)