Navajo Nation Reports 3 More COVID-19 Deaths, 101 New Cases
WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. — Three more people have reportedly died from COVID-19 while 101 new cases have been recorded on the Navajo reservation.
According to numbers released Saturday morning, 5,145 people have tested positive for the virus, while 231 have died from it.
An additional 61 deaths were reported Friday as “the Navajo Epidemiology Center cross-referenced the number of deaths and reconciled their data with that of state partners,” read the Nation’s press release.
Health officials said those 61 deaths “did not occur in the past two days, but over a period of time.”
At least 1,796 people have recovered from COVID-19.
The updated numbers were released as the Navajo Nation entered its eighth weekend lockdown.
“During this weekend’s lockdown, let’s remain diligent and stay home and spend time with our loved ones,” said Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez. “We are fighting hard every day for our people, so please think of others and remain home and safe.”
President Nez said data has shown the lockdowns are working to decrease hospital and emergency room visits, as well as flatten the daily number of COVID-19 cases.
The 57-hour weekend lockdown began at 8:00 p.m. Friday, and will remain in effect until 5:00 a.m. Monday.
All residents are required to wear protective face masks during the lockdown to help prevent the spread of the virus.
“The number of deaths is very saddening. We know there are a lot of grieving families and we want them to know that they are in our thoughts and prayers,” said Vice President Myron Lizer. “Please continue to pray for all of the men and women who are working hard around the clock to fight COVID-19.”
The Navajo Reservation spans the Four Corners area that includes part of southeastern Utah. Here is a case breakdown by service unit:
- Shiprock Service Unit: 841
- Kayenta Service Unit: 786
- Chinle Service Unit: 1,312
- Crownpoint Service Unit: 512
- Ft. Defiance Service Unit: 261
- Gallup Service Unit: 869
- Tuba City Service Unit: 433
- Winslow Service Unit: 100
- Wyoming Coroner in Gabby Petito case determining cause of death (pageviews: 41226)
- Search Warrant sheds light on Gabby Petito investigation (pageviews: 24739)
- FBI execute search warrant at Laundrie residence relevant to Gabby Petito investigation (pageviews: 10333)
- Florida search for Gabby Petito's boyfriend suspended (pageviews: 9629)
- Human remains discovered 'consistent' with description of Gabby Petito (pageviews: 9583)
- Frustrated by city inaction, residents contact KSL Investigators over Salt Lake’s RV Row (pageviews: 7555)
- Gabby Petito’s case highlights racial disparities in response to missing persons cases (pageviews: 6173)
- Police: Search for Laundrie concludes for the second day in wildlife reserve (pageviews: 4628)
- Human remains discovered ‘consistent’ with description of Gabby Petito – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4239)