Gov. Declares State Of Emergency; Closes State Capitol To Public
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Governor Gary Herbert has declared a state of emergency and ordered the Utah State Capitol Building in response to a protest turned that turned violent in downtown Salt Lake City.
“In close consultation with the Utah Department of Public Safety, Gov. Gary R. Herbert issued an Executive Order this evening declaring a State of Emergency due to civil unrest,” the order stated.
During Saturday’s protest, windows were broken out at the Salt Lake City and County building, TRAX stations and other buildings.
We were deeply saddened to see the defacement of our beautiful Capitol building by this weekend’s protesters. We are heartened by the many individuals wanting to help clean its stone walls and grounds.
— Gov. Gary Herbert (@GovHerbert) May 31, 2020
Surrounding buildings were sprayed with paint and two cars were set on fire. One of those was a patrol car from the Salt Lake City Police Department. The other was owned by a man who was seen on video brandishing a bow and arrow and threatening protesters.
Several dozen protesters were arrested, and 21 officers were treated for injuries.
Demonstrators also made their way to the Capitol building. Graffiti was left on the building and the surrounding grounds.
Authorities were on alert as more protests were planned for Monday.
A news release from the Governor’s Office said the order will temporarily close the State Capitol Complex to the public. The closure will be in effect until midnight, June 6.
Official state business will continue at the Capitol building during the closure, according to the release.
The Executive Order was posted online.
AERIAL VIEW from @KSL5TV Chopper 5 shows the incredible work done to clean the graffiti, paint and litter from #Utah's Capitol Building. Crews worked though the night to clean the granite columns @UTStateCapitol #utpol @kslnewsradio @KSLcom @DNewsPolitics pic.twitter.com/KSJuUArt4C
— Ladd Egan (@laddegan) May 31, 2020
- Police Say Man Shot While Driving Through Group Of Protesters In Provo (pageviews: 59190)
- Two Arrested In Connection With Provo Protest Shooting (pageviews: 18191)
- Man Accused Of Shooting Driver During Provo Protests Arrested (pageviews: 11855)
- Police Investigating Reports Of Shots Fired At Protest In Provo (pageviews: 8513)
- Driver Stuck In Middle Of SLC Protest Says She Feared For Her Life (pageviews: 7265)
- Pediatrics Group Says Benefits Of In-Person School Outweigh Virus Risks (pageviews: 4891)
- Woman Gored By Bison In Yellowstone National Park (pageviews: 4663)
- Life Flight Paramedic Injured In Plane Crash Dies (pageviews: 4594)
- Knolls Fire At 10,000 Acres, 25% Contained; Other Fires Burning Across Utah (pageviews: 4057)