Utah’s ‘Diaper Guy’ Sees Requests Double During COVID-19
SANDY, Utah – It doesn’t take someone with children to have a passion for helping them.
A retired businessman from Sandy is stepping up during COVID-19, despite a drop in donations for his nonprofit Utah Diaper Bank.
“I never thought I would be called the diaper guy as I got older,” said Victor Velivis, the founder and executive director of Utah Diaper Bank. “And I thought I might — maybe for a different reason.”
Velivis, the diaper guy, started the Utah Diaper Bank eight years ago. He said it is sending out the more shipments of diapers than ever before.
He sends pallets to food pantries and ministries across the state. Utah Diaper Bank is the main source of nonprofit diaper help in the state.
The government will help you buy food for your babies, but not diapers.
That’s where our Diaper Guy steps in. He’s doing record high donations during COVID19 in Utah.
— Morgan Wolfe KSL (@MorganWolfeKSL) June 12, 2020
Since the coronavirus pandemic started, donations have dropped for the diaper bank, but they have been doubling their usual shipments. The Utah Diaper Bank has shipped on average 100,000 diapers each month since March.
“It just is shocking,” Velivis said when talking about the lack of diaper resources for low-income families. “I just felt that I had to help.”
Velivis pointed out that low-income government programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and subsidized day care centers don’t cover diapers. They also don’t cover feminine hygiene products like tampons and pads.
Velivis said he believes it’s time for political leaders to step in and get families help in these departments.
“It is a necessity,” he said. “Why wouldn’t I want to help?”
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16465)
- 8-year-old girl dies after Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8845)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 8387)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8196)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7811)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6345)