Massive Explosion Seen After Train Derails Near Rock Springs
ROCK SPRINGS, Wyo. – A Union Pacific train hauling alcohol and liquid propane derailed near Rock Springs, Wyoming, according to Scott Kitchner, fire chief for Sweetwater County Fire District 1.
Kitchner said approximately 50 cars derailed in the crash, which happened Saturday afternoon near milepost 107 on Interstate 80.
Three explosions were reported with one sending flames 100 feet in the air, officials said.
WOW: This explosion was seen after a train derailed outside Rock Springs, Wyoming, on Saturday. Officials said approximately 50 cars derailed and seven or eight were still burning Saturday night.More info here: https://ksltv.com/439358/massive-explosion-seen-after-train-derails-near-rock-springs/(Video courtesy: Jen Wiberg)
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Saturday, 13 June 2020
Seven or eight cars were still burning Saturday night and Kitchner said crews will remain on scene overnight to monitor the fire. The crash happened in a remote area and no structures were threatened by the fire.
A few deputies that responded to the scene suffered minor burns but no other injuries were reported.
Union Pacific officials were investigating the cause of the crash, which caused some backup on their tracks.
- Broadway Actor Nick Cordero Dies At 41 After Battle With COVID-19 (pageviews: 9890)
- Utah Teen Hospitalized, Battling Severe COVID-19 Symptoms (pageviews: 8901)
- Family Speaks Out After Daughter Was Allegedly Shot, Killed By Estranged Husband (pageviews: 7509)
- Gephardt: COVID-19 Causing Coin Shortage For Utah Retailers, Banks (pageviews: 5095)
- U Of U Researchers Discover Impacts Of COVID-19 On Blood (pageviews: 4517)
- Multiple New Fires Start Amid Fourth Of July Celebrations (pageviews: 4215)
- Black Lives Matter Billboard Vandalized In Draper (pageviews: 3513)
- State Reports 6 New Deaths, 517 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 3283)
- Four Dead After Small Plane Crashes In Utah County (pageviews: 3134)