Megaplex Theatres Reopens With Classic Movies
SOUTH JORDAN, Utah – Old movies seem to be new again, like “Top Gun,” “Ghostbusters” and even “Jumanji.”
But at Megaplex theaters across Utah, it’s the actual original ’80s movies that are a big hit right now.
The Utah-based theater chain reopened Thursday after nearly three months of being closed due to coronavirus concerns.
Since Hollywood hasn’t released any new movies yet, and isn’t expected to until at least mid-July, Megaplex decided to show some classics.
“I love dinosaur movies,” said Melaina Mansanarez.
She and her family traveled from their Stansbury Park home to visit the Megaplex 20 Theater in South Jordan to see the original “Jurassic Park.”
“This was the pivotal dinosaur movie that kicked it all off,” she said.
There are also showings for “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” “The Goonies” and “Back to the Future,” as well as more recent classics like “Batman,” “Wonder Woman” and “Lord of the Rings.”
“They’ve got a lot of good ones,” said Chayce Williams, who lives in West Jordan.
Williams said the classes take him back to a time when things didn’t seem so difficult.
Especially after this year.
“It’s been insane, and it takes me back to being a child,” said Williams. “I’m going to see ‘Lord of the Rings’ and it was 2002. I was in second grade, I believe, when that came out, so it’s awesome.”
That’s the idea behind these movies.
“I don’t know if it was just the fun or the adventure, or if we just want to see the good guy win,” said Blake Andersen, president of Megaplex Theaters.
He said since Hollywood still has a month before releasing new movies, he figured why not show some older movies that will make people smile and escape for a little while.
“Help people to feel really good about just getting away from a really tough few months we’ve all gone through,” said Andersen.
There were hand sanitizing stations throughout the theater and workers were also constantly cleaning common areas.
There were social distancing markers throughout the lobby and in theaters, not every seat was sold so people could stay further away from each other.
- Have you or a family member been affected by coronavirus issues in Utah? KSL TV wants to hear from you. Contact KSL by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is COVID-19? Here’s What You Need To Know To Stay Healthy
- What We Know And Don’t Know About The Coronavirus
- Four Common Coronavirus Questions Answered
- The latest coronavirus stories from KSL TV can be found at our Staying Safe: Coronavirus section.
- Your Life Your Health: How can parents prepare their home, children against coronavirus?
How Do I Prevent It?
The CDC has some simple recommendations, most of which are the same for preventing other respiratory illnesses or the flu:
- Avoid close contact with people who may be sick
- Avoid touching your face
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Always wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
How To Get Help
If you’re worried you may have COVID-19, you can contact the Utah Coronavirus Information Line at 1-800-456-7707 to speak to trained healthcare professionals. You can also use telehealth services through your healthcare providers.
If you see evidence of PRICE GOUGING, the Utah Attorney General’s Office wants you to report it. Common items in question include toilet paper, water, hand sanitizer, certain household cleaners, and even cold medicine and baby formula. Authorities are asking anyone who sees price gouging to report it to the Utah Division of Consumer Protection at 801-530-6601 or 800-721-7233. The division can also be reached by email at email@example.com.
- Mysterious Southern Utah Monolith Mysteriously Disappears – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 33983)
- Mysterious Southern Utah Monolith Mysteriously Disappears – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 22072)
- Mysterious Southern Utah Monolith Mysteriously Disappears (pageviews: 12737)
- Dying Cancer Patient Forced From Utah County Home Even Though He Can Pay Rent (pageviews: 7601)
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness (pageviews: 6552)
- Catch A Lunar Eclipse During Full Beaver Moon This Weekend – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3735)
- Man Arrested For Refusing To Wear Face Mask On Flight Leaving SLC – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3656)
- South Jordan Police Officer Accused Of Kidnapping Relative On Thanksgiving (pageviews: 2424)
- Catch A Lunar Eclipse During Full Beaver Moon This Weekend (pageviews: 2260)