Daughter Warning Public Before Convicted Sex Offender Moves To Magna
MAGNA, Utah – A Utah woman is warning the Magna community about her father, a registered child sex offender, before he moves to a neighborhood on the west side of Salt Lake County.
Bret Riley is a convicted child sex offender that lives within a mile from a school, and less than three-fourths of a mile from the Magna Community Center.
His daughter Brittney, who requested that KSL not use her last name, is now pushing for change on where sex offenders can live.
“These perpetrators need to be held responsible, not only from the judicial systems, but by our communities,” Brittney said.
Brittney said Riley was convicted of sexually assaulting her daughter in 2016. She found out last Friday that he was going to be released early under supervision this past Tuesday.
“Nobody contacted us, asked us if we lived around that area,” she said.
Brittney said she learned he was living within walking distance from a park, school and church — all things that he’s legally not allowed to be at as a registered child sex offender.
So she posted a warning to the community in a Facebook group.
“It shouldn’t be the responsibility of the victims to follow them,” she said. “I don’t want anyone to have to go through what we went through.”
After calling the state, KSL’s Morgan Wolfe was told by a department of corrections spokesperson that sex offenders don’t have any living restrictions in Utah — meaning it is okay for Riley to live less than a mile from the park, school and church.
“I imagine there are a lot more sex offenders living around here than we know about,” one neighbor said.
Ninety-one to be exact in Magna according to the Utah sex offender registry that we searched. It still stated Riley was incarcerated.
Brittney was doing what she could to inform the public and recommended everyone check the sex offender registry.
But she still wanted the state to make some changes.
“I really feel like we need a better system,” she said.
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7375)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 7194)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6211)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5382)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station (pageviews: 4290)
- Centerville wildfire ‘most likely’ caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4224)