Salt Lake City Cancels Fourth Of July, Pioneer Day Firework Shows
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Salt Lake City officials said they will forego the city’s traditional firework shows on July 4 and 24 this year “due to the upswing in COVID-19 cases in Utah.”
“We know the annual Jordan Park and Liberty Park fireworks shows are favorite celebrations for our residents, but we just can’t risk attracting such large gatherings of people at this time,” said Lorna Vogt, director of the SLC Department of Public Services. “While we know it’s disappointing, we encourage residents to enjoy the holiday in small groups and follow the guidance of the Salt Lake City Fire Department regarding discharging personal fireworks.”
In place of the firework shows, officials called on residents to participate in the “Red, White & Blue” decorating contest.
“Salt Lake City is calling on residents and business owners to show their patriotic pride by decking out their homes, blocks and businesses in red, white and blue,” they said.
New to 2020 we are calling all Salt Lake City residents and business owners to show us your patriotic pride and deck out…
City representatives will judge all entries on July 4 and announce the winners at 6 p.m.
Judging will be based on the following categories: Best Overall Décor, Best Use of Red, White and Blue; Most Creative Décor and Most Patriotic Neighborhood.
Officials also reminded residents that fireworks may be discharged between 11 a.m. and 11 p.m. July 2-5 and 22-25, with hours extended to midnight on July 4 and 24.
Fireworks are restricted in the following areas:
- All areas east of 900 East including the University of Utah campus.
- All areas north of South Temple
- City Creek Canyon
- East of 300 West, north of Wall Street through Beck Street to the city limit to the north
- All city parks and wildland-urban interface areas
- All areas west of Redwood Road
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 21408)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 14286)
- R. Kelly sentenced to 30 years in sex trafficking case (pageviews: 6417)
- UPDATE: Ogden teen found by family (pageviews: 5704)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4791)
- Yellowstone bison gores Colorado man, causes arm injury (pageviews: 3806)