Evacuations Ordered After Wildfire Breaks Out On Traverse Mountain In Lehi
LEHI, Utah – At least 30 homes have been ordered to evacuate after a quick-moving fire ignited on the south side of Traverse Mountain in Utah County.
Multiple agencies have responded to the blaze that broke out around 11:30 p.m. Saturday in the Lehi and Alpine areas. Strong winds in the area have been pushing flames from the north.
Officials said there were two fires on the mountain. One was closer to the Outlets at Traverse Mountain that was put out. The second flared up after strong winds moved through the Wasatch Front before midnight.
The fire was estimated around 150 to 200 acres around 1:30 a.m. Sunday. By 3 a.m. it had burned several hundred acres.
Officials with the state fire command said the fire was started by fireworks, and there was a suspect who was cooperating with law enforcement.
Chief Jeremy Craft from the Lehi Fire Department was unable to confirm the cause of the fire.
LIVE: Brush fire burning on Traverse Mountain in Lehi. Evacuations are in place for nearby residents. Ladd Egan KSL is live at the scene.
Officials said structures were threatened by the flames.
The Lehi Community Response Team said homes in a one-quarter-mile radius from Vialetto Way to Annuvolato Way should evacuate.
Residents on Autumn Hills Boulevard and Spring View Lane have also been asked to evacuate.
Officers from the Lehi Police Department were seen going door to door at an apartment building in the area, letting them know to evacuate.
Officials from the Lehi Fire Department talk about Traverse Fire in Utah County.
The Utah Division of Emergency Management has reminded residents who need to evacuate to close their windows, shut off the HVAC system, take pets and follow all instructions from emergency personnel.
Officials said structure protection systems were in place between the homes and flames.
The gym at Skyridge High School has been opened for evacuees who need a place to go. The school is located at 3000 North Center Street in Lehi.
Crews from the Red Cross were at the high school to offer assistance.
“Fire in the area of traverse mountain. Any homes one quarter mile radius from vialetto way to annuvolato way evacuate also autumn hills blvd and spring view lane. If you are concerned you should evacuate, please do not call 911 or dispatch. Just evacuate if you are concerned.”
— Lehi CERT (@LehiCERT) June 28, 2020
Anyone with concerns about whether or not they should evacuate have been advised to do so rather than calling 911 emergency dispatchers for information.
The blaze has been named the Traverse Fire.
A staging area was initially set up at Belmont Elementary School, just north of Timpanogos Highway, and was moved to the Lehi City offices,
Several vehicles were stopped on the highway to watch the fire. Officers from the Lehi Police Department has asked people to avoid stopping on the busy roadway, and find parking lots instead.
New start above Lehi Alpine. Numerous resources enroute from local and state agencies. Structures threatened. #ffsljc
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) June 28, 2020
Just before 3 a.m., Draper city officials issued a “prepare to evacuate notice” for the SunCrest area on the Salt Lake County side of Traverse Mountain, including the Maple Hollow, Brookside, Deer Ridge neighborhoods.
By 3:19 a.m., an evacuation order was issued for the Maple Hollow neighborhood. Draper Park Middle School was opened for anyone needing a place to go.
PREPARE TO EVACUATE NOTICE: Residents living in the SunCrest area (Maple Hollow, Brookside, Deer Ridge) should begin to prepare to evacuate due to a wildfire on the Lehi side. Please check your phones for an official evacuation notice that will be made via Reverse 911 phone call.
— Draper City (@drapercity) June 28, 2020
Rocky Mountain Power reported a power outage in Bluffdale, Draper, Kearns and Midvale, impacting around 7,500 customers. They said there were many lines down due to the windstorm that went through the area.
Officials said crews were out looking for downed lines, and did not expect to have power restored until around 5:30 a.m. Sunday.
Witnesses reported seeing some explosions along the fire line, where officials said some power lines were impacted by the fire.
- Broadway Actor Nick Cordero Dies At 41 After Battle With COVID-19 (pageviews: 9890)
- Utah Teen Hospitalized, Battling Severe COVID-19 Symptoms (pageviews: 8901)
- Family Speaks Out After Daughter Was Allegedly Shot, Killed By Estranged Husband (pageviews: 7509)
- Gephardt: COVID-19 Causing Coin Shortage For Utah Retailers, Banks (pageviews: 5095)
- U Of U Researchers Discover Impacts Of COVID-19 On Blood (pageviews: 4517)
- Multiple New Fires Start Amid Fourth Of July Celebrations (pageviews: 4215)
- Black Lives Matter Billboard Vandalized In Draper (pageviews: 3513)
- State Reports 6 New Deaths, 517 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 3283)
- Four Dead After Small Plane Crashes In Utah County (pageviews: 3134)