Evacuations Ordered After Canal Fire Escapes Containment
OAK CITY, Utah — The Canal Fire reached 450 acres and was 100% contained Saturday, but strong winds Sunday afternoon caused the fire to break containment and threaten nearby homes.
The fire broke out just before 6:30 p.m. Friday and was initially estimated at 200 acres. It was located in Millard County, north of Oak City. Structures and power lines were threatened.
Fire officials said it was 100% contained around 4:15 p.m. Saturday, but it managed to pick back up again Sunday.
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) June 27, 2020
Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox said “because of strong winds, the fire has escaped containment and is threatening structures.”
Unfortunately we have bad news on the Canal Fire in Millard County near Oak City. Because of strong winds the fire has escaped containment and is threatening structures. Fool Creek and Leamington are being evacuated.
— Spencer Cox (@SpencerJCox) June 28, 2020
Fool Creek and Leamington are being evacuated.
- 'I Feel Threatened' Man Loses Job After Outburst Over Costco Mask Policy (pageviews: 111705)
- Teens Surprise Special Needs Neighbor With Scooter For Birthday (pageviews: 8572)
- Utah Sets New Record With 722 New COVID-19 Cases; 7 New Deaths Reported (pageviews: 8021)
- Husband Of Nurse Fighting For Life In ICU (pageviews: 7949)
- Governor: Mandate Issued For Face Masks In K-12 Schools Statewide (pageviews: 7370)
- Two People Charged With Hate Crime For Vandalizing Black Lives Matter Mural (pageviews: 5509)
- Remembering The Utahns We've Lost: Paul Mokofisi (pageviews: 4245)
- Governor Declares State Of Emergency, Closes Capitol After Protests (pageviews: 3920)
- DA Announces That Deadly Force Against Bernardo Palacios-Carbajal Was Justified (pageviews: 3641)