Salt Lake Man Drowns At Deer Creek State Park
WALLSBURG, Utah – A 24-year-old man drowned at Deer Creek State Park, according to Utah State Parks officials.
Authorities said Jose Antonio Fuentes-Alvarez, from Salt Lake County, was swimming in the Rainbow Bay area of the park Sunday afternoon.
Witnesses told police Fuentes-Alvarez began to struggle to keep his head above the water.
Three members of his group swam out to try and assist him but they were unsuccessful.
A Utah State Parks law enforcement ranger, a Deer Creek State Park camp host and a Utah Highway Patrol trooper responded quickly to the scene and helped the three members of Fuentes-Alvarez’s group back to shore.
Search efforts began immediately and divers recovered Fuentes-Alvarez’s body approximately 80 yards from shore at a depth of 16 feet Sunday night.
Officials said he was not wearing a life jacket.
“Utah is home to some of the most beautiful lakes, rivers, and reservoirs in the country. When recreating in these areas, it is important to exercise caution as these waterbodies are much different than swimming pools or other controlled environments,” officials said. “Distances on the water may appear deceiving; and waves, depth, and water temperature can change quickly and dramatically. Wear a life jacket, always swim with a buddy, and remember that alcohol and water recreation do not mix.
“The Utah Division of Parks and Recreation would like to extend our condolences to Fuentes-Alvarez’s friends and family, and thank the other agencies who assisted in this incident.”
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness (pageviews: 22129)
- Wednesday's Child: 3 Siblings Adopted Together After Years In Foster Care (pageviews: 8544)
- Deputies Break Up Suspected Camp Of Thieves West Of Utah Lake (pageviews: 4942)
- 26 Utahns Have Died From COVID-19; 570 People Are Hospitalized (pageviews: 2337)
- Utah Family Says Mom Died After Contracting COVID-19 At Family Gathering (pageviews: 2197)
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 1683)
- Utah Mom Warning Others After 6-Year-Old Girl Hospitalized With Rare COVID-19 Syndrome (pageviews: 1664)
- Draper Man Underbids Developers, Buys Property For Farming (pageviews: 1334)
- West Jordan Family Who Lost Daughter To COVID-19 Urges Families To Stay Home This Thanksgiving (pageviews: 1225)