Police Say Man Shot While Driving Through Group Of Protesters In Provo
PROVO, Utah – Demonstrations in downtown Provo on Monday boiled over into an incident that is now under investigation, police said.
Authorities responded to a report of shots fired when pro-police demonstrators arrived at a Black Lives Matter protest. At one point, protesters began to block an SUV at an intersection. The vehicle then revved its engine and drove forward. At the same time, two pops were heard.
Provo police on Tuesday confirmed the driver of the SUV had been shot by one of the people in the crowd.
“Several protesters began crowding around the vehicle,” said John Geyerman, Provo Police deputy chief. “The male protester ran toward the SUV on the passenger side, pointed a handgun at the driver, and shot one round through the window. The driver who was struck by the bullet accelerated, trying to leave the situation. The same protester ran after the vehicle and fired a second shot that went through the rear passenger window.”
Officials said the same man who allegedly fired the shots into the SUV also approached another vehicle and broke the window with a handgun.
The driver was taken to Utah Valley Hospital.
An enhanced video taken by KSL TV photographers of the scene appears to show a masked man raising his hands and pointing something that looks like a gun. The video also captured something that resembled a casing coming off the object the man pointed.
Police are looking for the alleged shooter and are asking for anyone with videos or pictures of the incident, or any other information, to contact PPD at 801-852-6210.
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness (pageviews: 22129)
- Wednesday's Child: 3 Siblings Adopted Together After Years In Foster Care (pageviews: 8544)
- Deputies Break Up Suspected Camp Of Thieves West Of Utah Lake (pageviews: 4942)
- 26 Utahns Have Died From COVID-19; 570 People Are Hospitalized (pageviews: 2337)
- Utah Family Says Mom Died After Contracting COVID-19 At Family Gathering (pageviews: 2197)
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 1683)
- Utah Mom Warning Others After 6-Year-Old Girl Hospitalized With Rare COVID-19 Syndrome (pageviews: 1664)
- Draper Man Underbids Developers, Buys Property For Farming (pageviews: 1334)
- West Jordan Family Who Lost Daughter To COVID-19 Urges Families To Stay Home This Thanksgiving (pageviews: 1225)