Heat, Winds & Dry Conditions To Increase Fire Risk During Holiday Weekend
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Officials with the Unified Fire Authority warned people planning to shoot off fireworks this holiday weekend to be cautious and aware that heat, wind and dry conditions will create a dangerous mix for wildfires.
The warning came after firework-caused Traverse Fire forced evacuations in Lehi and Draper.
KSL TV meteorologists forecasted temperatures in the 90s for Friday through early next week.
A news release from UFA said some areas of Utah would see winds up to 30 mph, with humidity as low as 10 to 15 percent for the weekend.
Salt Lake City firefighters went door-to-door Wednesday in areas where fireworks are restricted to remind residents about the need to be cautious this weekend.
We love seeing you Salt Lake City! We had the opportunity to spend time going from house to house in areas that fireworks are restricted to educate and promote safety.#slcfire #fireworks2020 #staysafeslc… https://t.co/K0kQoGhlLF
— Salt Lake City Fire Department (@slcfire) July 1, 2020
UFA suggested anyone planning to celebrate with fireworks this weekend should check out the authority’s fireworks information website.
UFA also strongly encourages following the recommended safety tips:
- Refrain from using any aerials if you are within 200 feet of an open area or grassy, brushy field.
- Read the cautionary labels before igniting.
- A responsible adult should supervise all firework activities.
- Never use fireworks while impaired by drugs or alcohol.
- Anyone using fireworks or standing nearby should wear eye protection.
- Always have a bucket of water AND a charged water hose nearby.
- Appropriately secure any aerial fireworks before lighting.
- Never relight a dud firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in the bucket of water.
- Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down or placing in the bucket of water and then throwing them away in a metal trash can the next day.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8296)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 5701)
- Suspect arrested in connection to ritualistic child sex abuse investigation (pageviews: 4813)
- Three-vehicle crash closes Mountain View Corridor, one passenger ejected (pageviews: 3465)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3004)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County (pageviews: 2451)