Salt Lake Boy Has Long Recovery After Truck Crashed Into His Home
SALT LAKE CITY — A 10-year-old boy has a long road to recovery after he was hit by a truck while he was lying on the couch in his living room.
It happened Friday afternoon near 3300 South and 300 East.
Police said the truck veered off the road at a high rate of speed and crashed into the house, pinning Zahid Macias underneath.
Cell phone video showing the aftermath was taken before anyone even knew Zahid was trapped.
“He was underneath the truck for 20 minutes. They had to extricate him,” said Liza Castro, a family friend. “We thought he wasn’t going to make it because the truck was just all the way inside.”
Police said they’re still investigating why the driver crashed through the house, and whether or not he was impaired.
The driver only sustained minor injuries, but Zahid wasn’t as lucky.
“How can a kid survive a hit? It’s a miracle that he’s alive,” said Castro.
Castro said Zahid suffered a broken femur, a fracture on the side of his face and a brain hematoma.
He’s currently at Primary Children’s Hospital where his mom said he’ll have to stay for at least the next 3-4 weeks.
“He was awake this morning, and he sent a voice memo saying the doctors were going to fix him,” said Castro.
Zahid’s two siblings, ages 6 and 2, were also in the house at the time of the crash, but they weren’t hurt.
Zahid’s mother is now at his side in the hospital, hoping every day he’ll get a little bit better.
“Katia is a single mother, so he’s been the boy of the house for her,” said Castro. “He’s going to need a lot of rehab, a lot.
The family will not be allowed back inside the house until it is inspected as the structure sustained major damage.
Friends have set up a GoFundMe page to help with expenses and Zahid’s medical bills.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 13464)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 10146)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10091)
- Utah truck driver arrested in California cold case from 1994 (pageviews: 6951)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 5445)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5414)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 4793)