Utah Teen Hospitalized, Battling Severe COVID-19 Symptoms
PROVO, Utah – A 17-year-old boy from Provo was admitted to the ICU with severe symptoms after testing positive for COVID-19.
Loydece Flake said her son, Carson Flake, plays football at Provo High School. He’s active, works out every day, and doesn’t have any health problems. But last week, he started getting sick and coughing up blood.
“It started kind of on Wednesday or Thursday,” Loydece Flake said. “By Friday, he was so sick. I mean it was quick.”
Flake said her son was on a vacation in Texas last week with his father and siblings.
He got home on Friday, and she took him to Instacare the same day after he started coughing, vomiting and running a high fever. They tested him for COVID-19 and sent him home.
“Two or three hours later, the fever just got even higher,” said Flake. “He couldn’t breathe at all, so I rushed him back to the ER.”
After that, Carson Flake went home again, but not for long.
“It was on the Fourth of July that he started coughing up blood,” said Loydece Flake.
She rushed him back to the emergency room at Utah Valley Hospital, and test results came back positive for COVID-19.
For the rest of the weekend, Flake said Carson Flake’s condition deteriorated, but he finally started showing signs of improvement on Monday.
“It’s been scary, but I think he’s turning a corner,” Loydece Flake said.
“I was just out,” Carson Flake said. “I couldn’t do anything.”
Flake didn’t have much to say from his hospital bed, but that’s to be expected from a 17-year-old who’s trying to kick COVID-19.
“It can happen to anybody,” he said. “It’s different for everybody too.”
Loydece Flake said she thinks Carson picked up the virus in Texas.
The family members who went with him are now in quarantine, but none of them were showing symptoms.
Flake said she was surprised her son got so sick, but she was happy to report that left the ICU Monday and was doing much better.
- Post Malone Is Donating 10K Of His Sold Out Crocs To Frontline Workers (pageviews: 7378)
- Morgan Restaurant Set To Close After 40 Years In The Community (pageviews: 6067)
- Police Release New Details Related To Alex Cox's Death In Vallow/Daybell Case (pageviews: 5860)
- Lindon Man Dies Following Incident At Quail Creek State Park (pageviews: 4657)
- Detectives Locate Body Of Missing Wasatch County Man (pageviews: 4614)
- Orem Unveils Utah's Biggest Pedestrian Bridge (pageviews: 2896)
- Orem Unveils Utah’s Biggest Pedestrian Bridge – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2889)
- 3-Year-Old Boy Hospitalized After Being Hit By Truck In Eagle Mountain (pageviews: 2868)
- 'UK Variant' Of COVID-19 Found In Utah, Officials Say (pageviews: 2482)