Jam On It Basketball Tournament Postponed Following Confirmed COVID-19 Case
SANDY, Utah – The growing number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Utah is having a direct impact on a youth basketball tournament.
The Salt Lake County Health Department officially postponed the Jam On It basketball tournament after a confirmed case of the coronavirus. The news left thousands of young players and coaches disappointed.
More than 150 teams were involved in the tournament, which is also known as the Rocky Mountain Showcase. Many players are from Utah, but a good number of participants also traveled from surrounding states.
The SLCHD officially shut down the event, which was scheduled at the Mountain America Expo Center, until health officials “can complete a thorough investigation into who might have been exposed,” according to a health department statement.
“Due to unforeseen circumstances, and out of an abundance of caution, the Rocky Mountain Showcase is postponed until 2021,” according to a message posted on the Jam On it website. “We apologize for the inconvenience and late notice. Jam On It had every intention of running an outstanding event. Funds can be used for a future event, or refunded as desired.”
This pop up on the youth basketball Tournament website after it was immediately shut down by the county health department following a confirmed case of Covid-19. Details on @KSL5TV. pic.twitter.com/PI4WXVoekC
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) July 9, 2020
The postponement of the event came hours after Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson issued a public reminder of expectations for sporting events during the pandemic, which include checking players and coaches for symptoms before each meeting, practice or game.
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 15103)
- SB I-15 closed in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 6159)
- Utah’s second Topgolf location to open Friday (pageviews: 5870)
- Teens build intricate 'Gingerbread Cathedral,' get out of writing essay (pageviews: 4804)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 4665)
- Witness recounts 'miraculous' Moab rescue after BASE jumper crashes into cliff (pageviews: 3558)