Jam On It Basketball Tournament Postponed Following Confirmed COVID-19 Case
SANDY, Utah – The growing number of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Utah is having a direct impact on a youth basketball tournament.
The Salt Lake County Health Department officially postponed the Jam On It basketball tournament after a confirmed case of the coronavirus. The news left thousands of young players and coaches disappointed.
More than 150 teams were involved in the tournament, which is also known as the Rocky Mountain Showcase. Many players are from Utah, but a good number of participants also traveled from surrounding states.
The SLCHD officially shut down the event, which was scheduled at the Mountain America Expo Center, until health officials “can complete a thorough investigation into who might have been exposed,” according to a health department statement.
“Due to unforeseen circumstances, and out of an abundance of caution, the Rocky Mountain Showcase is postponed until 2021,” according to a message posted on the Jam On it website. “We apologize for the inconvenience and late notice. Jam On It had every intention of running an outstanding event. Funds can be used for a future event, or refunded as desired.”
This pop up on the youth basketball Tournament website after it was immediately shut down by the county health department following a confirmed case of Covid-19. Details on @KSL5TV. pic.twitter.com/PI4WXVoekC
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) July 9, 2020
The postponement of the event came hours after Salt Lake County Mayor Jenny Wilson issued a public reminder of expectations for sporting events during the pandemic, which include checking players and coaches for symptoms before each meeting, practice or game.
- Wednesday's Child: Austin Finds His Forever Home After 5,449 Days In Foster Care (pageviews: 9279)
- Street Painter Sprays Several Neighborhood Cars In West Jordan (pageviews: 5588)
- Videos Capture Beirut Explosion That Shattered Windows Across Lebanese Capital (pageviews: 5531)
- Parents Rally For 5-Day, In-Person Learning At Davis School District (pageviews: 4500)
- Ammonium Nitrate May Have Sparked Beirut Explosion. It Also Happened In Texas In 1947 (pageviews: 2990)
- Trump Giving $35 Million To Aid Human Trafficking Survivors (pageviews: 2792)
- Salt Lake Community College Taylorsville Campus Shelter-In-Place Lifted (pageviews: 2672)
- Massive Beirut Blast Kills More Than 70, Injures Thousands (pageviews: 2415)
- Eight Arrested After Rally In Cottonwood Heights Turns Violent (pageviews: 2170)