Safe In 60: Are UTVs Legal To Drive On Utah Roads? Sometimes, But Not Always
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – You may have noticed over the last few years, side by side utility vehicles are becoming more common on city streets.
Have you wondered if they are even legal to be driven anywhere besides off-road trails?
Utility vehicles (UTVs) can be legal on Utah roads, but they will need to meet some requirements before you hit the surface streets.
Just as required for any other vehicle, a UTV will need a title, be registered through the state of Utah, and be properly insured.
Most UTVs are not street legal right out of the factory. Here are some of the most common safety modifications required before your UTV can be registered.
- Headlights, taillights, brake lights, and turn signals on both front and back.
- Brake lights and turn signals on the front and rear.
- A horn, side mirrors on each side, and a windshield, unless you want always to wear goggles.
- Both the speedometer and license plate need to be illuminated.
- Seats, seatbelts, and handholds for each passenger.
Even though the UTV is registered, there are still places where it is not allowed:
- Freeways/interstates anywhere in Utah.
- In Salt Lake County, UTVs cannot be driven on roads with a posted speed limit of 50 miles per hour or higher.
- In the other 28 counties, a UTV can be on a roadway with posted speed higher than 50 miles per hour, but cannot go faster than 50 mph, must have reflectors, and stay as far to the right side of the roadway as possible.
- Any roads where UTVs are posted as restricted. Watch for signs indicating such.
Having your UTV registered can save time and hassle, not having to trailer it to every off-road trail. Remember that to drive a UTV on city streets; the driver will need to have a valid driver’s license.
- 4-Year-Old Boy Left On School Bus For Two Hours (pageviews: 9361)
- Police Seek Public's Help Locating Missing Endangered Boy Out Of Millcreek (pageviews: 4375)
- Herriman, Riverton Residents Help Give Back To Artist Alex Boyé (pageviews: 4282)
- Pizza Delivery Driver Gets Surprise Tip, Becomes 'TikTok Famous' (pageviews: 3349)
- Vehicle Accidentally Rolls Into Deer Creek As Owner Is Taking Photos (pageviews: 2057)
- Young Mother Killed In Head-On Crash In Kane County (pageviews: 1866)
- Neighbors Concerned About U Of U Parties As University Goes Online (pageviews: 1224)
- Utah Reports 4 New Deaths, 694 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 1079)
- Body Of Partially-Clothed Woman Discovered In South Salt Lake (pageviews: 1017)