Alpine School District Approves Half Days For Fall Plan; Parents Sound Off
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Nearly 200 people piled into an auditorium at Lake Mountain Middle School where the Alpine School District’s board met to discuss their Return to Learn plan Tuesday night.
A lot of frustrated parents took to the microphone during the public comment portion of the meeting. Many focused on masks being required for their kids.
“We cannot do this, this cannot be the precedence. This has got to stop,” one mother said.
“Let the kids socialize, let them be with each other,” another parent pleaded.
Under the plan, students would attend half days with the rest of the day for teachers to work with students who opted for online learning.
Some teachers said they have concerns about that hour online instruction, saying it may not be enough time.
“Basically double the work load is really what they are asking us to do,” teacher Brook Wood said. “If we have in-person classes as well as being responsible for virtual learning, I don’t feel that they truly understand what that takes out of a teacher.”
The district is also giving students the option to do online learning exclusively and will be offering specialist teachers to help with those classes.
Another adjustment discussed would be removing furniture and equipment from classrooms to allow for better social distancing.
The district is also working on providing teachers with personal protective equipment and sanitizing wipes.
School is set to begin Aug. 18. The Return to Learn plan has been approved by the Utah County Health Department, but health officials will be looking at it again at the beginning of August. District officials emphasized that this plan is fluid and may change depending on the status of COVID-19 cases when school is set to begin.
- Anchorage Alaska Temple to be rebuilt, moved to a new location - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8444)
- Search warrant reveals neighbors discovered bodies of Haight family (pageviews: 7455)
- Body found inside limestone kiln in Salt Lake City foothills (pageviews: 6751)
- Slain Enoch girl texted friend that dad was acting strange and she was worried (pageviews: 5763)
- ‘Overwhelming’ response for radon testing after Lehi woman shares cancer diagnosis story - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5046)
- Snow College employee found dead in off-campus student housing unit (pageviews: 3984)