Provo Man Injured, Home Damaged After Fire Caused By Woodworking
Jul 16, 2020, 5:29 AM | Updated: 5:33 am
PROVO, Utah – A man doing woodwork in a shed accidentally started a fire that sent him to the hospital and damaged his home, authorities said.
The incident happened late Wednesday in the area of 700 South 1350 East.
Capt. Sam Armstrong with Provo Fire & Rescue said the woodworking caused sparks which led to the fire. The man told firefighters he thought he’d gotten the fire extinguished.
However, some smoldering continued, which turned into flames after a few hours.
Officials said the man suffered second-degree burns to his chest and arms as he tried to put the fire out.
When fire crews arrived, a deck and a shed were both on fire. The blaze then traveled to the roof and through the home’s garage, causing extensive damage, Armstrong said.
It also burned the ceiling and attic area of a neighbor’s carport.