Rescuers Recover Body Of Man Who Drowned At Bear Lake
ST. CHARLES, Idaho — A difficult time for a Logan family as deputies in Bear Lake County announced they recovered the body of a missing 27-year-old man.
Detectives spotted the body shortly before 1 p.m. Sunday using sonar technology.
Divers were sent down to the area to confirm.
Kayakers said they spotted the man struggling near North Beach Saturday around 7:35 p.m. They went out to the area and saw the man go under, but were not able to get him out in time.
— Garna Mejia KSL (@GarnaMejiaKSL) July 19, 2020
Multiple agencies arrived on scene and assisted in the search effort.
The area is shallow, about 6-10 feet deep, but officials said waves were rocky Saturday night, with wind speeds at about 17 miles per hour.
Deputies later confirmed the man’s identity as Martin T. Garcia.
“Our agency’s heartfelt prayers go out to them at this time,” said Deputy Ryan Larsen with Bear Lake County Sheriff’s Office Marine Patrol.
Garcia’s family is asking for privacy at this time.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 13464)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 10146)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10091)
- Utah truck driver arrested in California cold case from 1994 (pageviews: 6951)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 5445)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5414)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 4793)