Target, Dick’s Sporting Goods To Close On Thanksgiving Day
Target and Dick’s Sporting Goods will close stores this Thanksgiving as the coronavirus pandemic forces major retailers to alter their upcoming holiday shopping plans.
The companies’ announcement to close on Thanksgiving came after Walmart said last week that it will stay closed on the holiday.
“There’s no question, the holiday season is going to be very different this year,” Target said in a blog post Monday
Closing on Thanksgiving has been a source of tension between retailers and labor advocates in the past, especially as many retailers in recent years have opened their doors on the holiday to get a jump start on Black Friday — generally considered the start to the year-end shopping rush.
Critics have argued that workers should be at home with their families instead.
Target also said Monday that it will begin its holiday shopping promotions in October to stretch out deals for customers and stave off big crowds in stores during the holidays.
“Historically, deal hunting and holiday shopping can mean crowded events, and this isn’t a year for crowds.”
Macy’s is also considering a much earlier start to its Black Friday marketing push, potentially right after Halloween.
- Slain Enoch girl texted friend that dad was acting strange and she was worried (pageviews: 14110)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13553)
- Body found inside limestone kiln in Salt Lake City foothills (pageviews: 8491)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said (pageviews: 7883)
- BREAKING: Shots fired at Taylorsville High School (pageviews: 7144)
- BREAKING: Shots fired at Taylorsville High School - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5583)