Salt Lake City Is Going To Resume Parking Meter Fares
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Salt Lake City will resume parking meter fares after more than four months of those fares being suspended.
The city suspended enforcement of metered parking in March as an early response to the COVID-19 pandemic. According to a statement from the city, enforcement for fares on short-term parking will resume the second week of August.
Heads up, #SLC: parking enforcement will resume on metered parking stalls in two weeks. After consultation with local businesses that rely on curbside pickup, a need for spots to change over more frequently became apparent. More info https://t.co/RLoUZ0UiNw #utpol
— SLC Mayor Erin Mendenhall (@slcmayor) July 28, 2020
“After consultation with local businesses that rely on curbside pickup to conduct business, a need for spots to change over more frequently became apparent,” according to the city’s statement. “This change will affect metered parking only. Otherwise, legally parked cars throughout the city will still be able to park without time limitations.”
Mayor Erin Mendenhall said the free parking was helpful while street-level businesses were closed. However, now that they’re reopening, “there is a need for people to be able to access that convenient, short-term, on-street parking.”
Authorities will begin outreach and warnings to cars parked at meters for the next two weeks to let drivers know that the change is coming.
Paid parking hours are from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. for a maximum of two hours, Monday through Friday. Saturdays are free, with a two-hour maximum.
“We want to support our local businesses as they continue to grapple with the significant economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, and this is one way the City can help,” Mendenhall said.
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 23816)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 18797)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6273)
- Police: Man dead after riding lawn mower falls off terrace (pageviews: 3369)
- 4 charged in Texas semi-truck smuggling operation that left 53 migrants dead (pageviews: 3159)
- 2nd visitor in 3 days gored by Yellowstone park bison (pageviews: 3152)