Herman Cain Dies From Coronavirus
Herman Cain, a onetime Republican presidential candidate and former CEO of Godfather’s Pizza, has died from coronavirus, according to an obituary sent from his verified Twitter account and Newsmax, where he was launching a television show.
“You’re never ready for the kind of news we are grappling with this morning. But we have no choice but to seek and find God’s strength and comfort to deal,” his official Twitter account said.
As a co-chair of Black Voices for Trump, Cain was one of the surrogates at President Donald Trump’s June 20 rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma — which saw at least eight Trump advance team staffers in attendance test positive for coronavirus. Trump campaign spokesman Tim Murtaugh has told CNN that Cain did not meet with Trump at the Tulsa rally.
Cain announced his candidacy for president in 2011. He briefly gained traction in the race for his 9-9-9 tax reform plan, which would have replaced almost all current taxes with a 9% income tax, a 9% corporate tax and a 9% national sales tax. After about seven months, he dropped his bid for the GOP nomination amid sexual harassment allegations, which he denied.
Cain was considered at an increased risk for coronavirus due to his age and history with cancer, according to US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance.
In 2006, Cain was given a 30% chance of survival from stage 4 colon cancer that had spread to his liver. He underwent chemotherapy and surgery to remove the cancer from his liver and was declared cancer free in 2007.
He told CNN in a 2011 interview that after beating cancer he felt he had to do “something bigger and bolder,” leading him to decide to run for president.
Cain was born December 13, 1945, in Memphis, Tennessee. He is survived by his wife, Gloria, and their two children, Melanie and Vincent, and grandchildren.
- Eight Arrested After Rally In Cottonwood Heights Turns Violent (pageviews: 23288)
- Police: Shots Fired Into Security Booth Outside Provo Missionary Training Center (pageviews: 6401)
- Videos Capture Beirut Explosion That Shattered Windows Across Lebanese Capital (pageviews: 4992)
- The FDA's List Of Dangerous Hand Sanitizers Has Now Grown To More Than 100 (pageviews: 3404)
- Suspect Killed; West Jordan Officer Shot In Shoulder (pageviews: 2765)
- Trump Giving $35 Million To Aid Human Trafficking Survivors (pageviews: 2514)
- Doctor Debunks Myths About Wearing Face Masks (pageviews: 2456)
- Police: Shots Fired Overnight Outside Missionary Training Center In Provo (pageviews: 2358)
- Massive Beirut Blast Kills More Than 70, Injures Thousands (pageviews: 2143)