506 New Positive Coronavirus Cases, 6 Deaths Reported In Utah
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The Utah Department of Health had reported an additional 506 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, with another 6 deaths related to the disease.
Officials said the total number of cases in the state increased to 40,702 Saturday.
The rolling average over the last seven days has moved to 431 cases per day, with a 9.9 percent rate of positive cases to the number of people tested, reported at 4,350.
Nearly 533,300 tests have been administered in Utah.
The latest deaths related to COVID-19 were three people from Salt Lake County, two from Utah County and one from San Juan County.
Three were residents of long-term care facilities. The other three were hospitalized at the time of death.
Officials said two were over the age of 85, three were age 65 to 84, and one was between the ages of 45 to 64.
The number of people currently hospitalized with COVID-19 was at 210. Over 2,400 Utahns have been hospitalized since the beginning of the pandemic.
About 71 percent of the state’s cases were considered “recovered.” Officials said an individual was listed as recovered if they have not passed away more than three weeks since their latest positive test.
State epidemiologist Dr. Angela Dunn explained at the health department’s Friday briefing that the methodology for considering a person recovered from COVID-19 was somewhat “crude,” and did not account for the long-term effects of the disease.
On Friday, Utah became one of 30 states across the country reporting over 40,000 positive cases.
There have been over 4.5 million cases of coronavirus in the United States, with the number of deaths near 153,000, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Beehive State was among 26 states reporting less than 1,000 deaths related to COVID-19.
Nearly 17.4 million confirmed cases have been reported across the globe and over 675,000 deaths, according to the World Health Organization.
- Have you or a family member been affected by coronavirus issues in Utah? KSL TV wants to hear from you. Contact KSL by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What is COVID-19? Here’s What You Need To Know To Stay Healthy
- What We Know And Don’t Know About The Coronavirus
- Four Common Coronavirus Questions Answered
- The latest coronavirus stories from KSL TV can be found at our Staying Safe: Coronavirus section.
- Your Life Your Health: How can parents prepare their home, children against coronavirus?
How Do I Prevent It?
The CDC has some simple recommendations, most of which are the same for preventing other respiratory illnesses or the flu:
- Avoid close contact with people who may be sick
- Avoid touching your face
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue and then throw the tissue in the trash
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Always wash your hands with soap and water if your hands are visibly dirty.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
How To Get Help
If you’re worried you may have COVID-19, you can contact the Utah Coronavirus Information Line at 1-800-456-7707 to speak to trained healthcare professionals. You can also use telehealth services through your healthcare providers.
If you see evidence of PRICE GOUGING, the Utah Attorney General’s Office wants you to report it. Common items in question include toilet paper, water, hand sanitizer, certain household cleaners, and even cold medicine and baby formula. Authorities are asking anyone who sees price gouging to report it to the Utah Division of Consumer Protection at 801-530-6601 or 800-721-7233. The division can also be reached by email at email@example.com.
- Mysterious Southern Utah Monolith Mysteriously Disappears – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 47318)
- Mysterious Southern Utah Monolith Mysteriously Disappears (pageviews: 19664)
- Mysterious Southern Utah Monolith Mysteriously Disappears – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 17661)
- KSL Investigates: Are COVID-19 Deaths In Utah Inflated? (pageviews: 8383)
- DPS Crew Discovers Mysterious Monolith From Air In Remote Utah Wilderness (pageviews: 6346)
- Man Arrested For Refusing To Wear Face Mask On Flight Leaving SLC (pageviews: 5794)
- Man Arrested For Refusing To Wear Face Mask On Flight Leaving SLC – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4942)
- Two Arrested In Connection With Death Of Santaquin Man (pageviews: 2481)
- Catch A Lunar Eclipse During Full Beaver Moon This Weekend – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2259)