Suspect Killed; West Jordan Officer Shot In Shoulder
WEST JORDAN, Utah – A police officer has been injured and a suspect was killed after an officer involved critical incident in West Jordan.
The incident happened near 7500 South and 2700 West around 8 p.m. Sunday.
Officials with the West Jordan Police Department said they got a call from someone who was following what they believed to be the stolen vehicle belonging to a family member.
Officers responded to the area, located and stopped the vehicle. They said there were multiple people inside.
A police department spokesperson said the officers asked the driver and passengers to exit the vehicle.
At least one complied, and officials said multiple gunshots were exchanged between the suspect and officers.
An officer was injured after being struck by a bullet above his ballistic vest in the shoulder. Officials said one or possibly two officers returned fire and struck the suspect.
A neighbor told KSL TV they heard up to 15 gunshots.
The unidentified suspect died of their injuries.
The officer was taken to an area hospital for treatment. Officials said he was in good spirits and good condition. He was expected to make a full recovery.
Investigators were working to determine exactly what circumstances led to the incident.
KSL 5 TV Live
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces temple groundbreakings (pageviews: 76405)
- How to see the Northern Lights, sighted recently in Utah skies (pageviews: 22066)
- More snow piles up Sunday and it's not over yet (pageviews: 15455)
- DNA analysis of Beethoven's hair reveals health issues, family secret (pageviews: 12156)
- Two dead, one critically injured after crash in Magna (pageviews: 12014)
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts (pageviews: 10654)
- 3 killed in multi-vehicle crash; NB I-15 closed for several hours in Box Elder County (pageviews: 8197)