Judge: Chad Daybell Case To Continue After Probable Cause Met
REXBURG, Idaho – Magistrate Judge Faren Eddins has ruled that Chad Daybell’s case will continue after probable cause was shown by the state during the preliminary hearing.
Daybell’s hearing lasted two days and finished Tuesday afternoon.
According to Idaho state law, Daybell must now appear for arraignment before a district judge, where he will be advised of his rights and of the procedures the court will follow from that time forward.
“There is sufficient or probable cause to show #ChadDaybell committed the offenses counts 1-4,” Judge Eddins rules to go to trial. #Daybell’s arraignment scheduled for Aug. 21. @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/5ztjtxFmGT
— Garna Mejia KSL (@GarnaMejiaKSL) August 4, 2020
Daybell may enter into a plea at that time. If he does not enter a plea or pleads not guilty, the court will set the case for trial.
Eddins said Daybell’s arraignment will take place on Aug. 21 at 9 a.m.
If the defendant pleads guilty or is found guilty after a trial, the next step is to order a presentence investigation. That report is prepared by an investigator assigned to the case and assists the judge in determining a sentence.
“Once the court and the parties have had an opportunity to review the presentence report, a sentencing hearing is held, at which time the judge pronounces the terms of the defendant’s sentence,” district officials said.
Lori Vallow is scheduled to appear in court for her preliminary hearing on Aug. 10-11.
See KSL TV’s full coverage of the case here.
- Young Mother Killed In Head-On Crash In Kane County (pageviews: 9027)
- Pizza Delivery Driver Gets Surprise Tip, Becomes 'TikTok Famous' (pageviews: 7956)
- Herriman, Riverton Residents Help Give Back To Artist Alex Boyé (pageviews: 6649)
- Joe Montana, Wife Block Attempted Kidnapping Of Grandchild (pageviews: 4379)
- 2 Die In Single-Vehicle Crash In Tooele County (pageviews: 3507)
- Police Seek Public's Help Locating Missing Endangered Boy Out Of Millcreek (pageviews: 3031)
- Cache Valley Teen Lucky To Find Cell Signal After Rattlesnake Bite (pageviews: 2690)
- Utah Reports 1,068 New COVID-19 Cases, 5 New Deaths (pageviews: 1257)
- Structures Threatened By Fire Located South Of Veyo (pageviews: 1062)