Utah’s New Unemployment Claims Continue To Decrease
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Last week, a total of 5,080 Utahns filed for new unemployment claims, according to the Utah Department of Workforce Services.
There were 3,137 claims for traditional unemployment – down by 600 from the week before. In fact, new claims for traditional unemployment benefits has been going down for five straight weeks. Another 832 people filed for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance – down by 475.
A total of 81,439 residents continued their claims last week, and the number of people who have stopped requesting benefits is up from 4,563 for the week ending July 26 to 5,292 last week.
LIVE: The Department of Workforce Services is holding an update following report of 5,080 new jobless claims
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Thursday, August 6, 2020
“Over the past two weeks we have seen new unemployment claims drop by 28% while also seeing a continued, gradual decrease in ongoing unemployment claims” said Kevin Burt, Unemployment Insurance Division director for the Utah Department of Workforce Services. “Certainly employment continues to be impacted for many, but this improvement is critical as the $600 federal stimulus has expired for all claimants.”
Nationally, nearly 1.2 million Americans filed new unemployment claims. That number is down by 249,000 from the previous week. A total of 16.1 million laid-off workers are collecting jobless benefits.
Those who were laid off could be feeling an extra sting, as the $600 weekly federal aid has expired. This brings unemployment insurance payments down to a fraction of the person’s previous salary.
The DWS will be holding a press conference at 9:30 a.m. It will be streamed on the KSL TV Facebook page.
- 4 Missionaries Stranded On Remote Pacific Island (pageviews: 11050)
- Corner Canyon Teacher In ICU With COVID-19 (pageviews: 9619)
- Corner Canyon Teacher In ICU With COVID-19; 500 Students Quarantined (pageviews: 8891)
- Utah Breaks Single-Day Record With 1,117 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 7275)
- Police: Suspect Killed After Shooting At Officers During Pursuit (pageviews: 3169)
- Utah Breaks Previous Record With 911 New COVID-19 Cases In One Day (pageviews: 2342)
- Friends Remember Woman Found Dead In Layton (pageviews: 2241)
- Family Of Ogden Hiker Missing Since Sept. 8 Asking For Public's Help (pageviews: 2005)
- Meet Our Team (pageviews: 1819)