Mt. Aire Area Evacuated Due To Parley’s Fire; I-80 Closing
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Officials with the Unified Fire Authority evacuated the Mt. Aire area due to the Parley’s Fire, which had burned 200 acres and was growing rapidly.
Air and ground resources were on scene and the fire was zero percent contained Friday night.
“I was worried sick,” said Jerry Brown, who was running errands when he received several calls from family and friends about the fire. “I’m going, ‘oh my God, my pets are up there.’”
Brown’s dog Lucy and cat Mr. Tubbs were at his home and firefighters weren’t allowing anyone in the area.
Brown is one of a handful of families who live in the Mt. Aire community year-round. In the five years he’s lived there full-time, he said this was the third time he has been evacuated. Fortunately for him, a neighbor did what good neighbors do and brought Lucy down to him on their way out. Minutes later, firefighters reunited Brown with Mr. Tubbs.
“Material stuff can be replaced but not those guys,” Brown said. “Got my family back.”
It was a happy reunion amid a firefight just up the canyon, where crews battle dry brush and wind-driven flames that prompted both evacuations and a temporary shutdown of I-80.
Officials said an evacuation center for those displaced by the fire will be set up at Skyline High School, 3251 East and 3760 South in Salt Lake City.
LIVE: Chopper 5 is over the Parley's Fire; Mt. Aire area has been evacuated and both directions of I-80 are closed in the area.
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Thursday, August 6, 2020
No cause has been given for the fire. Crews closed eastbound I-80 at the mouth of the canyon and westbound lanes at Jeremy Ranch Thursday evening; both directions were opened after 9 p.m.
However, UFA officials said both directions of I-80 will close at 9 a.m. on Friday for fire suppression efforts.
Officials with the Salt Lake City Department of Public Utilities said Little Dell Recreation Area will be closed to the public Friday to support water dipping and fire suppression in fighting the fire.
I-80 will close both directions starting at 9 am on Friday the 7th for fire operations on the #ParleysFire from Foothill & I-215 to Parleys Summit. Provo Canyon and Hwy 84 are alternate routes. Please make travel plans accordingly. #ffslkw
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) August 7, 2020
- 4-Year-Old Boy Left On School Bus For Two Hours (pageviews: 5219)
- South Salt Lake Police Identify 23-Year-Old Murder Victim (pageviews: 4293)
- Ten Puppies, Two Dogs Stolen From South Jordan Home (pageviews: 2642)
- Wednesday's Child: Stoneay Hopes To Find Her Forever Family (pageviews: 1968)
- Debate Commission Says It Will Make Changes To Format (pageviews: 1952)
- Herriman, Riverton Residents Help Give Back To Artist Alex Boyé (pageviews: 1731)
- Grieving Family Desperate To Find Dead Brother’s Storage Unit (pageviews: 1676)
- Putting An End To A COVID Mask Frustration: Foggy Glasses (pageviews: 1373)
- Neighbors Concerned About U Of U Parties As University Goes Online (pageviews: 1320)