SLC Veterans Home Declared COVID-19 Free After Outbreak
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A veterans home that reported 51 cases of COVID-19 with 13 deaths earlier this year now has zero active cases.
The Utah Department of Veterans and Military Affairs and Avalon Health Care made the announcement Friday after the Utah Department of Health completed a survey at the William E. Christofferson Salt Lake City Veterans Home and cleared it of any active cases.
“As we share the news that the outbreak at the William E. Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home is over, I’d like to acknowledge the tremendous loss of the families and loved ones who lost residents to COVID-19,” said Gary Harter, Utah Department of Veterans & Military Affairs executive director. “Our department, along with Avalon Health Care and the greater veterans community, join those who have lost veterans to COVID-19 in mourning their passing.”
The release said no residents have tested positive for COVID-19 since early June and a virus unit at the home has closed. All residents have returned to their original rooms.
In all, 38 residents recovered from COVID-19 since the outbreak was reported. A total of 30 staff members had tested positive since May 20 and all of them were also considered recovered.
“While this is an encouraging milestone, it is one reached with a heavy heart as we mourn for those who were lost to this historic threat,” Avalon Health Care officials said. “Our staff views our residents as an extension of their own families and losing even one of our nation’s heroes is one too many.”
Avalon Health Care operates the William E. Christoffersen Salt Lake Veterans Home, which is owned by the Utah Department of Veterans & Military Affairs.
A virtual memorial service will be held at a later date to honor the residents who died.
- Kirstie Alley, Emmy-winning ‘Cheers’ star, dies at 71 (pageviews: 24529)
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 9347)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as 'the life of the party' (pageviews: 7132)
- ‘It’s kind of an eerie feeling;’ Utah man living in Hawaii witnesses Mauna Loa eruption - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4470)
- Utah family gets 'a measure of justice' in 50-year-old rape case (pageviews: 4133)
- Netflix's 'Falling for Christmas' filmed at these charming Utah locations (pageviews: 3798)