Tooele Resource Center, Thrift Store Provide Help During Pandemic
TOOELE, Utah – As the coronavirus pandemic takes its toll on the job market and the economy, a number of people have felt the burden of working to provide for their families.
To help, the Tooele Community Resources Center has partnered with a local food pantry to provide a way to help people avoid breaking the bank.
The new resource has been made available to those who may be in need of some assistance.
“We have case management. We have food available. We have diapers, wipes, hygiene items and support services for those in need our community,” said director Christy Johnson.
With the coronavirus pandemic, many have struggled daily. The Tooele CRC is working to make connections with landlords, mental health professionals, law enforcement and doctors to meet the community’s health needs.
“The more connections we can make for them, the better we can provide services to them,” Johnson said.
Funding for the program comes from a new thrift store in the area.
“The success of the Tooele Community Resource Center will depend greatly on, and has already been so successful, is Tooele Thrift,” Johnson said.
Not only is the Tooele CRC providing a service, its giving back to the community. A micro-business that will fund operation costs for the food pantry, the domestic violence shelter, and victim advocates
“What’s great about this store, if the client needs something they can come work and volunteer for us, and then they earn store credit to purchase those items,” Johnson said. “It gives them ownership.”
She said new volunteers are always welcome.
“We are working really hard to teach our clients and community that we can help one another by being kind, and also teaching others to work for things – not just a handout, but a hand up,” Johnson said.
- 4 Missionaries Stranded On Remote Pacific Island (pageviews: 11050)
- Corner Canyon Teacher In ICU With COVID-19 (pageviews: 9619)
- Corner Canyon Teacher In ICU With COVID-19; 500 Students Quarantined (pageviews: 8891)
- Utah Breaks Single-Day Record With 1,117 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 7275)
- Police: Suspect Killed After Shooting At Officers During Pursuit (pageviews: 3169)
- Utah Breaks Previous Record With 911 New COVID-19 Cases In One Day (pageviews: 2342)
- Friends Remember Woman Found Dead In Layton (pageviews: 2241)
- Family Of Ogden Hiker Missing Since Sept. 8 Asking For Public's Help (pageviews: 2005)
- Meet Our Team (pageviews: 1819)