Man Dead, Another In Custody After Roy Officer-Involved Shooting; K-9 Injured
ROY, Utah – One man was shot and killed and another was taken into custody after an officer-involved shooting, according to officials with the Roy Police Department.
Police said an officer initiated a traffic stop around 2 a.m. Saturday for a traffic violation. The officer made contact and had a discussion with the car’s two white occupants before they fled in the vehicle.
Officers said they briefly pursued the vehicle before terminating the search.
A short time later, police received reports that the vehicle had stopped in a large field near 2640 North and 1700 West in Clinton, near the city’s boundary with Roy.
— Alex Cabrero (@KSL_AlexCabrero) August 8, 2020
“As officers approached the vehicle, they were subjected to gunfire from one of the subjects,” Roy police said. “Officers returned fire.”
Officials said Roy K-9 Mik was struck in the face by gunfire and was being treated at an animal hospital emergency room. He was expected to survive.
One Roy patrol vehicle was struck by gunfire on the driver’s side of the windshield, according to police.
Officer said one suspect was killed and the other was taken into custody.
“The length (time/distance) of the pursuit, the number of officers who fired their weapons and an exact timeline of the incident are currently under investigation,” police said. “The officers involved will be placed on administrative leave during this investigation.”
Police added the suspects have been identified, but their names and ages were not being released at this time.
Per protocol, officials from the Weber and Davis county attorney’s offices were on scene and handling the investigation, according to police.
“It’s definitely something that’s always in the backs of our minds,” said officer Joshua Taylor with the Roy Police Department. “It’s never something anybody ever wants to go through, but we here receive a lot of training, and I think that helps us.”
- 4 Missionaries Stranded On Remote Pacific Island (pageviews: 11050)
- Corner Canyon Teacher In ICU With COVID-19 (pageviews: 9619)
- Corner Canyon Teacher In ICU With COVID-19; 500 Students Quarantined (pageviews: 8891)
- Utah Breaks Single-Day Record With 1,117 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 7275)
- Police: Suspect Killed After Shooting At Officers During Pursuit (pageviews: 3169)
- Utah Breaks Previous Record With 911 New COVID-19 Cases In One Day (pageviews: 2342)
- Friends Remember Woman Found Dead In Layton (pageviews: 2241)
- Family Of Ogden Hiker Missing Since Sept. 8 Asking For Public's Help (pageviews: 2005)
- Meet Our Team (pageviews: 1819)