Navajo Nation: 15 New Cases, 2 More Deaths From COVID-19
WINDOW ROCK, Ariz. – The Navajo Nation announced 15 new COVID-19 cases and two additional deaths.
There are now 472 people who have died from the coronavirus on the reservation, health officials said Sunday.
The numbers were released as a shortened weekend shutdown winded down.
Previous weekend lockdowns lasted 57 hours and would begin Friday evenings, as opposed to last weekend’s lockdown, which began at 9 p.m. Saturday.
The reservation has been slowing the rate of new cases over the past several weeks with the weekend lockdowns and daily curfews as surrounding states — including Arizona and New Mexico — dealt with concerning case counts.
“Fifteen new cases reported today is a good indication that the majority of the Navajo Nation’s residents are complying with the public health emergency orders and that they are listening to the advice of our health care experts,” said Navajo Nation President Jonathan Nez. “We have to continue to do what we are doing to keep flattening the curve. We cannot rush to fully reopen the government, parks and businesses.”
Nez added, “Other states made the mistake of reopening too soon and that’s what we want to avoid. Our health care system will be tested greatly if we have another spike in new cases. We will continue to carefully analyze the data and seek the advice of our health care experts each step of the way.”
Overall, 6,859 people are considered recovered by Navajo health officials. Over 85,000 tests have been administered and 9,308 people have tested positive on the reservation.
- 4 Missionaries Stranded On Remote Pacific Island (pageviews: 11050)
- Corner Canyon Teacher In ICU With COVID-19 (pageviews: 9619)
- Corner Canyon Teacher In ICU With COVID-19; 500 Students Quarantined (pageviews: 8891)
- Utah Breaks Single-Day Record With 1,117 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 7275)
- Police: Suspect Killed After Shooting At Officers During Pursuit (pageviews: 3169)
- Utah Breaks Previous Record With 911 New COVID-19 Cases In One Day (pageviews: 2342)
- Friends Remember Woman Found Dead In Layton (pageviews: 2241)
- Family Of Ogden Hiker Missing Since Sept. 8 Asking For Public's Help (pageviews: 2005)
- Meet Our Team (pageviews: 1819)