St. George Marathon Canceled For First Time In 43 Years
ST. GEORGE, Utah – The St. George Marathon has been run without interruption each year for more than four decades – until now.
Due to coronavirus concerns, the annual race has been put on hold for this year and event organizers are looking ahead to 2021.
“This was a difficult decision for us to make,” said Michelle Graves, race director for the St. George Marathon and deputy director of the St. George Leisure Services Department. “We have enjoyed 43 consecutive years of this race, which has become one of the crown jewels of the marathon circuit.”
She said the health and safety of the runners, volunteers, staff members and residents outweighs the benefits of holding the race in October.
Each registered participant for the 2020 race will have the option for a full refund or for a deferral to the 2021 marathon.
“We really tried to make this work out,” said race operations director Nikelle Pledger. “We are sad that we won’t have a race this year, but we are beyond excited for the 2021 version of the St. George Marathon.”
“We look forward to our great runners, effervescent volunteers and feeling of accomplishment that comes with the St. George Marathon,” she added.
- 4-Year-Old Boy Left On School Bus For Two Hours (pageviews: 9361)
- Police Seek Public's Help Locating Missing Endangered Boy Out Of Millcreek (pageviews: 4375)
- Herriman, Riverton Residents Help Give Back To Artist Alex Boyé (pageviews: 4282)
- Pizza Delivery Driver Gets Surprise Tip, Becomes 'TikTok Famous' (pageviews: 3349)
- Vehicle Accidentally Rolls Into Deer Creek As Owner Is Taking Photos (pageviews: 2057)
- Young Mother Killed In Head-On Crash In Kane County (pageviews: 1866)
- Neighbors Concerned About U Of U Parties As University Goes Online (pageviews: 1224)
- Utah Reports 4 New Deaths, 694 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 1079)
- Body Of Partially-Clothed Woman Discovered In South Salt Lake (pageviews: 1017)