17-Year-Old Charged In Payson Sledgehammer, Daycare Attack
PAYSON, Utah – A suspect has been booked into jail on charges stemming from a Payson sledgehammer attack. Police said the suspect was a 17-year-old male.
Officials with the Payson Police Department said the suspect turned himself in around 4 a.m. Saturday. He was taken into custody without incident and booked into the Slate Canyon Youth Detention center.
The teen was booked on two charges each of attempted aggravated murder, child abuse and criminal trespassing. He was also charged with one count of burglary, obstruction of justice and disorderly conduct.
Investigators have not released the suspect’s identity because he is a juvenile.
A witness told officials they saw a suspect assaulting a neighbor with a sledgehammer, hitting the victim in the body and head.
The suspect then reportedly turned his attention to the witness and came to her home, which was also a daycare center.
Police said the suspect attacked at least one adult and assaulted several children.
A neighborhood was put on a shelter-in-place order Friday as police searched the area. Surveillance video was released, showing video of the suspect walking down the road.
Officials said several leads from the public helped them to identify the suspect.
The victim attacked with the sledgehammer was sent to the hospital for treatment, and was in the ICU listed in critical condition.
UPDATE from Payson Police this morning regarding yesterday’s sledgehammer attack and assaults at a neighboring daycare. According to this from investigators, a 17-year-old turned himself in…@KSL5TV #KSLTV #Utah pic.twitter.com/hznmKjD4bX
— Andrew Adams (@AndrewAdamsKSL) August 15, 2020
KSL 5 TV Live
- I-80 to close over weekend for elk relocation (pageviews: 35010)
- 'It just keeps coming': Warnings issued in Utah with wintry week ahead (pageviews: 17846)
- 2 accused of fraud across multiple states with help from Utah store employee (pageviews: 12181)
- Trial for Gwyneth Paltrow over ski collision begins on Tuesday (pageviews: 7418)
- Why Zion's popular Narrows hike could be closed for months (pageviews: 6628)
- Teen dead, others injured after rollover crash in Juab County (pageviews: 6564)