New Fire Starts Near Norway Flats Area; Campers, Hikers Evacuated
KAMAS, Utah — A new fire has started near Norway Flats in Summit County, about 10 miles east of Kamas.
The Shingle Creek Fire, located near milepost 10 of Mirror Lake Highway, started as a vehicle fire and then spread to the wildland, according to Lt. Justin Wright of the Summit County Sheriff’s Office.
The blaze was estimated at 25 acres shortly before 3 p.m.
Summit County Search & Rescue began evacuating campers and hikers, while a helicopter and several engines arrived on scene.
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) August 15, 2020
Wright said it’s a very popular area and is busy this weekend.
No homes are currently being threatened.
Mirror Lake Highway has not been shut down, but Wright said officials have advised visitors to stay out of the area.
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7375)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 7194)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6211)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5382)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station (pageviews: 4290)