Body Of Missing Kanab Man Recovered At Jackson Flat Reservoir
KANAB, Utah — The body of a man that was reported missing from Kanab has been recovered at the Jackson Flat Reservoir in Kanab, according to officials.
The Kane County Sheriff’s Dispatch Center received a report of a missing 30-year-old male, Abraham Knudson from Kanab, around 5 p.m. Friday. He was reportedly last seen at the Jackson Flat Reservoir.
The Kanab City Police Department and the Kane County Sheriff’s Office responded to the area and began investigating.
Officers obtained the story from a female acquaintance as to Knudson’s last known location and how he went missing, and a search — both a ground search and a search of the water by boat — was conducted.
A Classic Air Medical Helicopter was later flown in from Page, Arizona. It flew over the reservoir for approximately two hours, but was unable to locate the man.
Trained search dogs were then deployed, while search and rescue teams used kayaks and spotlights to search on the water. They looked for several hours after dark, but with no luck.
A message was released to the public, asking for their help in locating the missing man.
The Utah Department of Public Safety Dive Team was then called in to assist in the search. They arrived Saturday morning with their specially equipped boat and launched onto the water around 12:15 p.m.
A possible image was located with their sonar equipment around 1:15 p.m.
Two divers entered the water and located a man in approximately 14 feet of water. The body was recovered and later matched to the description of Knudson.
His official cause of death is under investigation.
Officials were quick to remind people of the dangers of recreating on or around the water. They said to use good judgment and wear life jackets whenever possible.
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 12259)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7066)
- Utah deputies identify suspect in 1972 murder, rape case; still looking for second suspect (pageviews: 6499)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 5989)
- Utahn charged with assault after allegedly holding blade to woman's throat on flight (pageviews: 5264)
- Utah man buys humidifier found with five packages of cocaine in it (pageviews: 5001)
- Two injured in I-80 crash; several crashes reported as Thanksgiving travel picks up (pageviews: 4528)