Wednesday’s Child: Camden Hopes To Visit Rio Tinto Stadium With Family
SANDY, Utah – In Utah, a child stays in foster care for an average of 17 months, according to the 2019 annual report from Utah Child and Family Services.
For 13-year-old Camden, it’s been almost two years.
“I was just confused,” he said. “They just told me two days before and then I was gone.”
Transitioning to state custody can be difficult for many children, but Camden said he’s tried to stay positive.
“It’s kind of like not having as much freedom and stuff,” hd said. “But for me, people care about me more when I’m in foster care. I Have a little more attention.”
Like a lot of 13-year-olds, Camden loves sports.
“My favorite sports are soccer, I like basketball, I’ve been wanting to play football but never got around to that,” he said.
It’s not just traditional sports for this Utah teen, though.
“I like pickleball,” he added. “It’s fun!”
Thanks to Real Salt Lake, Camden got to revisit a sport he loved playing before entering foster care.
Kyle Schroeder, director of community relations, arranged for a special guest to show him around the RSL stadium. He even received his own RSL jersey with his name printed on the back, complete with a good dose of silly string from Leo, the team’s mascot.
Camden said it’s the first time he’s ever seen his name printed on a jersey.
His visit to RSL resulted in a lot of smiles, something the teen said he’s always trying to do.
“I’ve always loved smiling, so I usually try to look on the positive side,” he said. “Sometimes it’s just hard, but that’s why I usually look to the positive.”
Camden said he hopes to return to Rio Tinto Stadium one day and make similar memories with a new family.
“I love talking to people,” he said. “It would be cool to have siblings.”
He said he won’t give up hoping there is one out there wanting to adopt him.
“I want them to give me an opportunity and a chance,” he said, “and them to love me.
For more information, contact The Adoption Exchange at (801) 265-0444 or at www.adoptex.org.
- 4-Year-Old Boy Left On School Bus For Two Hours (pageviews: 5219)
- South Salt Lake Police Identify 23-Year-Old Murder Victim (pageviews: 4293)
- Ten Puppies, Two Dogs Stolen From South Jordan Home (pageviews: 2642)
- Wednesday's Child: Stoneay Hopes To Find Her Forever Family (pageviews: 1968)
- Debate Commission Says It Will Make Changes To Format (pageviews: 1952)
- Herriman, Riverton Residents Help Give Back To Artist Alex Boyé (pageviews: 1731)
- Grieving Family Desperate To Find Dead Brother’s Storage Unit (pageviews: 1676)
- Putting An End To A COVID Mask Frustration: Foggy Glasses (pageviews: 1373)
- Neighbors Concerned About U Of U Parties As University Goes Online (pageviews: 1320)