Police: Suspect Wanted For Parole Violation Shot, Killed After Brandishing Gun
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – One man was shot and killed after police said he brandished a gun near 900 South and Fayette Avenue, located between Main Street and West Temple.
Officials with the West Valley City Police Department said the U.S. Marshals Service was handling the case, and it was not immediately clear which agency was involved in the shooting.
— Ashley Moser (@AshleyMoser) August 28, 2020
A heavy police presence was reported Thursday night near 925 South Fayette Avenue around 5:15 p.m. Officials told KSL NewsRadio that members of the marshal service’s Violent Fugitive Apprehension Team were pursuing a suspect who brandished a firearm.
Police said the suspect was shot and killed, and no other suspects were outstanding.
Will Marcois, who works in the area, said he heard a commotion and looked outside of his office window.
“To say chaos almost doesn’t cut it — I mean, it was crazy,” Marcois said. “At least 30 squad cars and unmarked trucks rolled in.”
Marcois said he saw a man running away from police along Fayette Avenue before shots rang out.
“He ran, turned back towards the police and fired off the shots and the officers fired back,” he said.
Brandon Holt, U.S. Marshals Service chief deputy, said the man violated his parole, was tracked to the area and ran when confronted.
“A K-9 unit was deployed, he brandished his firearm and was engaged by officers and was fatally wounded,” Holt said.
Marshals were assisted by West Valley City police officers who are part of the marshal service’s VFAST.
After learning about the shooting, nearly two dozen protesters showed up police for answers as to who fired the fatal shot.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7254)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 4854)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 4398)
- 'He seemed prepared for battle:' Neighbors terrified after encounter with armed stranger (pageviews: 3683)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3016)
- One dead, one in critical condition after being hit while changing tires in Ogden (pageviews: 2865)