Authorities Identify Suspect Killed In Officer-Involved Shooting
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Authorities on Friday identified a suspect who was shot and killed during an officer-involved shooting on Thursday.
Police said Damien Evans, 38, of West Valley City, was being fleeing from police when he pulled out a firearm. Officers then fired and hit the suspect, according to statement from the U.S. Marshals Service.
Officials said Evans was “a violent parole fugitive” and was wanted by the Utah Department of Correction and Adult Probation and Parole.
“The fugitive was wanted for absconding and had a lengthy criminal history, including several firearms charges by a prohibited person, drugs, felony escape, and assault on a federal law enforcement officer,” according to the U.S. Marshals statement. “As is customary in violent fugitive cases, AP&P requested the USMS to lead the investigation.”
When marshals located Evans, he reportedly refused commands to stop. Authorities pursued him in vehicles and on foot as well as deploying the use of a K-9. Evans allegedly pulled the weapon during the chase and was subsequently shot by pursuing officers.
“Officers immediately called for medical assistance, but he succumbed to his injuries on scene,” according to the statement.
The Unified Police Department Critical Incident Protocol Team is investigating.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 5286)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 4285)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3692)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 2165)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 2065)
- 2 men arrested for allegedly enticing minors online and by text (pageviews: 2003)