Canyons School District Offering Free Meals To All Students
WEST JORDAN, Utah – Officials with the Canyons School District announced school breakfast and lunch will be available at no charge to all CSD students under a temporary waiver from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
The program begins September 8 and will continue through December, or until federal funding runs out.
“This is welcome news for the communities we serve,” said Sebasthian Varas, district nutrition services director. “We have families who may not qualify for free or reduced-price lunch but have been financially hurt by the pandemic. This will hopefully bring them some peace of mind and take at least one worry off their shoulders.”
All students in the district, whether they are attending in-person classes or learning online or at home, are eligible and do not need to apply for the benefit.
“Canyons District is committed to ensuring no child goes hungry and has sponsored free meals throughout the pandemic, even over the summer months and when schools were dismissed,” officials said.
Varas encouraged families who may qualify for free or reduced-price meals to apply so there is no gap in meal service once the USDA waiver expires.
“Schools will serve meals in their cafeterias per the staggered schedules they’ve established to promote physical distancing,” officials said. “Online and at-home learners will continue to pre-order and pick up meals per the protocols established by each school.”
Additionally, four Canyons schools will make free meals available to all children 18 years of age and younger, even those who aren’t enrolled in the district:
- Draper Park Middle, 13133 South 1300 East, Draper
- Butler Middle, 7530 South 2700 East, Cottonwood Heights
- Midvale Middle, 7852 Pioneer Road, Midvale
- Jordan High, 95 East Beetdigger Boulevard, Sandy
Details on the program can be found here.
- At least 2 injured after semi hauling beehives tips on I-80 (pageviews: 7381)
- Why this mom’s abortion decision challenged her family’s religious beliefs (pageviews: 7141)
- 48 migrants die after trailer abandoned in Texas heat (pageviews: 6358)
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch (pageviews: 6125)
- Flood watch over popular Utah recreation areas Sunday (pageviews: 5376)
- WATCH LIVE: Warriors Over The Wasatch – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3050)