SLC Mayor Asks For Swift, Transparent Investigation After Teen Shot, Injured By Police
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall is calling for a fast and transparent investigation following the officer-involved shooting of teenage boy Friday night.
Police said the boy was threatening others with a weapon during what they described as a “psychological episode,” and officers reportedly shot and injured the teen as he was running from police.
“No matter the circumstances, what happened on Friday night is a tragedy,” according to a statement from Mendenhall. “I expect this investigation to be handled swiftly and transparently for the sake of everyone involved.”
Sgt. Keith Horrocks with the Salt Lake City Police Department on Friday noted that an investigation such as this one could take time.
“They’re so complex, and there is so much information to go through,” he said.
At last report, the boy was in serious condition. Authorities have not released the boy’s age, but social media users who have identified themselves as family members of the teen said he is 13 years old.
In August, Mendenhall issued an executive order changing the city’s use of force protocol. That order altered how police conduct searches and seizures and how the department will discipline officers who either fail to activate or intentionally deactivate their body cameras.
That policy went into effect Saturday.
- Warrant: Baldwin didn't know weapon contained live round (pageviews: 7556)
- Missing teen returns home to Eagle Mountain (pageviews: 6298)
- Missing teen returns home to Eagle Mountain – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5748)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired prop gun that killed cinematographer (pageviews: 4510)
- Authorities searching for 13-year-old boy on Fish Lake (pageviews: 3680)
- 'Elf Emporium' for Festival of Trees is woman’s dying wish (pageviews: 3089)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 3051)
- Laundrie family hopes for answers after remains found (pageviews: 2590)
- Authorities searching for 13-year-old boy on Fish Lake – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2517)