SLC Mayor Asks For Swift, Transparent Investigation After Teen Shot, Injured By Police
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall is calling for a fast and transparent investigation following the officer-involved shooting of teenage boy Friday night.
Police said the boy was threatening others with a weapon during what they described as a “psychological episode,” and officers reportedly shot and injured the teen as he was running from police.
“No matter the circumstances, what happened on Friday night is a tragedy,” according to a statement from Mendenhall. “I expect this investigation to be handled swiftly and transparently for the sake of everyone involved.”
Sgt. Keith Horrocks with the Salt Lake City Police Department on Friday noted that an investigation such as this one could take time.
“They’re so complex, and there is so much information to go through,” he said.
At last report, the boy was in serious condition. Authorities have not released the boy’s age, but social media users who have identified themselves as family members of the teen said he is 13 years old.
In August, Mendenhall issued an executive order changing the city’s use of force protocol. That order altered how police conduct searches and seizures and how the department will discipline officers who either fail to activate or intentionally deactivate their body cameras.
That policy went into effect Saturday.
- Parent Calls SLC School Board Emails 'Unprofessional' & 'Unethical' (pageviews: 33337)
- Utah Teacher Hospitalized After Breaking Back On Vacation (pageviews: 7519)
- Political Opponents For Utah Governor Release Joint Ads Calling For Civility (pageviews: 6796)
- Intermountain COVID-19 PSA: 'There's A War Going On' (pageviews: 4897)
- Provo Man Shot By Family Member Who Thought He Was Intruder, Police Say (pageviews: 4105)
- Utah Reports 314 Current Hospitalizations, 1,363 New COVID-19 Cases, 6 New Deaths (pageviews: 2088)
- KSL Investigators Win Fight For More Info On COVID-19 In Utah’s Care Centers (pageviews: 2016)
- Woman Missing For 2 Weeks Found Safe In Zion National Park (pageviews: 1408)
- Parents Of 545 Children Separated At Border Can't Be Found (pageviews: 1392)