45 Semi-Trucks Blown Over On Utah Highways Due To High Winds
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – At least 45 semi-trucks were blown over on Utah highways due to high winds in Box Elder, Weber and Davis counties, according to Lt. Gov. Spencer Cox.
Officials with the Utah Highway Patrol said high-profile vehicle restrictions were lifted Tuesday afternoon in Weber and Box Elder counties, but they remained in place in Davis County due to ongoing high winds.
Those restrictions include Legacy Parkway.
Lt. Nick Street with the Utah Highway Patrol said a few drivers suffered injuries when their cabs tipped over, but no severe injuries had been reported.
The high profile vehicle restriction has been lifted in Weber and Box Elder counties, but still remains in place in Davis County.
We do expect those restrictions to go back into place as we are expecting wind gusts to worsen into the evening and overnight. pic.twitter.com/EqyS0awLM9
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) September 8, 2020
It can take crews one or two hours to clear a single semitrailer, Street said.
“With the onslaught of over 35 semis — 21 semis in Davis County alone — it’s taking time because it’s at least a couple hours for each one,” he said.
Troopers reported trees and downed power lines blocking lanes and roadways throughout the morning. Although winds have settled down across Utah, gusts are expected to ramp back up Tuesday night.
Officials with the National Weather Service said gusts could reach 75+ mph and gusts of 77 mph were reported at Salt Lake City International Airport at 3 p.m.
Rocky Mountain Power crews were out in full force to restore power to an estimated 174,000 people across Utah; some of those outages could last 48-72 hours.
Troopers, UDOT & tow truck crews are working to clear a total of five semis blown over through Box Elder, Weber and Davis Counties. Blown over & low power lines have parts of US 89 shut down. The pictures below are of I-84 in Weber Co. Please avoid the area if possible. pic.twitter.com/YSxT08zuMs
— Lt. Nick Street (@LtStreetPIO) September 8, 2020
- Human remains discovered 'consistent' with description of Gabby Petito (pageviews: 27603)
- Tipster talks about spotting Gabby Petito’s van in Grand Teton National Park – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10554)
- FBI execute search warrant at Laundrie residence relevant to Gabby Petito investigation (pageviews: 10108)
- Possible evidence found in search for Gabby Petito (pageviews: 10037)
- Human remains discovered ‘consistent’ with description of Gabby Petito – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9496)
- Draper family: Airbnb no help after someone lists their home as a rental & guests started showing up – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9412)
- Florida search for Gabby Petito's boyfriend suspended (pageviews: 9350)
- Police: Search for Laundrie concludes for the second day in wildlife reserve (pageviews: 9124)
- Search for key that will open mystery door at Utah State University – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8624)