Weber County Home Hit With Several Large Trees
PLEASANT VIEW, Utah – A Weber County family was cleaning up after several trees fell onto their home during a strong wind storm that rattled northern Utah.
Jerry and Denise Simon from Pleasant View said they were getting a lot of help after five big trees fell on their home.
The 50-year-old pine trees each came down, one after another, starting around 5:30 a.m. Tuesday.
“We’re just grateful we’re safe,” said Denise Simon.
At first, two trees fell. Then two more an hour later. As they were assessing the damage outside, the final tree fell.
“(I) could hear the cracking of the roots, snapping on the fifth one, as it was going down,” Jerry said.
FIVE trees on ONE house, means a lot of cleanup for a Weber County couple. Hear from them about how one came down after another, and why they say they are grateful today. @KSL5TV at 6pm. #utwx pic.twitter.com/ER5pNjyE5E
— Mike Anderson (@mikeandersonKSL) September 8, 2020
They’ll have to fix up the roof, some trusses, and a bit of the ceiling. It could have been worse.
“So grateful that we can fix the house, but we’re still here,” said Jerry Simon. “That’s important.”
The house will be fine, but there’s going to be a big gap in their yard.
“We’re getting a little too old to start over, but we’re going to start over,” Jerry said. “We’ll be OK.”
The Simons said they’re not alone in this – they have family, neighbors and friends willing to help.
“Jerry, there’s your Christmas tree,” one neighbor said about the fallen pine trees.
“When something like this happens, it’s the community and the neighbors getting together that buoys you up,” said Denise. “That makes you feel stronger.”
That help, the Simons said, makes the problem of five large trees on their house feel a little bit smaller.
KSL 5 TV Live
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces temple groundbreakings (pageviews: 61519)
- Police: Hoax targets several Utah schools with fake shooting threats (pageviews: 35058)
- Arrest made in Logan Canyon crash that killed 3, injured 2 (pageviews: 19690)
- Three dead, two injured in crash that closed US Hwy 89 (pageviews: 11477)
- 3 victims in Box Elder County crash identified (pageviews: 10071)
- Nashville police release bodycam footage of police shooting school attacker (pageviews: 7725)