4,536 Utahns File New Unemployment Claims
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A total of 4,536 Utahns applied for new jobless claims last week, according to the Utah Department of Workforce Services.
There were also 54,661 continued claims filed during the same week.
The numbers are down slightly from the week before, when a total of 4,591 filed for new or extended benefits.
LIVE: The Dept. of Workforce Services is holding an update following report of 4,536 new jobless claims
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Thursday, September 10, 2020
Utahns who qualify are also receiving an additional $300 per week for a six-week period as part of an executive order signed by President Donald Trump.
“The Department of Workforce Services is proud to announce that we have successfully began to distribute the $300 weekly Lost Wage Assistance payments for the weeks ending August 1, 8, and 15th to those that are eligible, providing much needed economic relief,” said Kevin Burt, Unemployment Insurance Division director for the Utah Department of Workforce Services. “The payment is fully integrated into the benefit system, as a result no application or request is needed, anyone that received an unemployment benefit during the applicable weeks will automatically be considered for this additional assistance.”
The six-week period runs from July 26 – Sept. 5. The limit of six weeks is a result of high state participation and capped funding availability to the program, according to the DWS.
Nationally, 884,000 Americans sought new jobless benefits, according to a report from the Department of Labor, and 13.4 million people are continuing to receive unemployment benefits – up slightly from the week before.
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 6449)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6433)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 6050)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 5371)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3347)
- Father, son found dead inside West Jordan home (pageviews: 3137)