Truck Driver In Custody After Injuring UHP Trooper, Leaving Scene
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A Utah Highway Patrol trooper was struck by a vehicle Tuesday morning while attending to a fuel spill closure.
UHP Sgt. Nick Street said a semi bobtail drove through the closure. When UHP tried to stop the truck, it drove off and “clipped” the trooper in the process.
UHP Cpl. Andrew Battenfield said the trooper had closed the onramp due to spill. The driver of the truck allegedly failed to comply with the closure, and the trooper had climbed the steps of the semi to get the driver to stop.
The truck continued to drive, and the trooper had to jump off the vehicle. The vehicle swiped him, and he rolled, according to a witness. The driver of the truck left the scene. Authorities located the vehicle, and the driver was taken into custody.
The trooper complained of back and arm issues, and he was taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. KSL TV video from the scene shows the trooper walking to an ambulance gurney.
The Utah Highway Patrol later tweeted an image of the trooper, identifying him as Cpl. S. Myer. He’s expected to make a full recovery, according to the tweet.
Our Trooper, Cpl. S Myer was involved in an incident this morning during a closure of an on ramp. He is doing well and is expected to make a full recovery. Thank you to all that have been involved. pic.twitter.com/ZhRpTjNBby
— Utah Highway Patrol (@UTHighwayPatrol) September 15, 2020
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 6449)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6433)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 6050)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 5371)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3347)
- Father, son found dead inside West Jordan home (pageviews: 3137)