Riverton High To Close For Deep Cleaning After Rise In COVID-19 Cases
RIVERTON, Utah – Officials with the Jordan School District said Riverton High School will close Thursday and Friday for deep cleaning after more than 15 COVID-19 cases were reported at the school.
Board members voted to close the school for deep cleaning during an emergency meeting Wednesday night. The meeting came after health officials said Riverton High had 16 students and a faculty member test positive for COVID-19, which exceeds the state’s threshold to close a school.
Of the school’s 2,800 students, 119 are on quarantine.
The doors at #Riverton High School are shut today and tomorrow for deep cleaning after 17 tested positive for #COVID19. 119 students of the school's 2800 are now in quarantine. Details on @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/SniwnkNCvD
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) September 17, 2020
All classes, virtual and in-person, will be canceled Thursday and virtual instruction will resume Friday.
Officials said students will not be allowed in the building either day, but staff may enter to pick up instructional materials, if needed.
In-person classes will resume on Monday.
The Salt Lake County Health Department recommended the school close to in-person learning for two weeks, but the decision was ultimately up to the school board.
- Pizza Delivery Driver Gets Surprise Tip, Becomes 'TikTok Famous' (pageviews: 9472)
- Young Mother Killed In Head-On Crash In Kane County (pageviews: 5256)
- Authorities Investigating After Woman Struck By Multiple Vehicles On I-215 (pageviews: 4266)
- Cache Valley Teen Lucky To Find Cell Signal After Rattlesnake Bite (pageviews: 4235)
- New COVID-19 Record With 1,411 New Cases; 4 New Deaths, 184 Hospitalizations (pageviews: 3915)
- Palacios Carbajal Family Files Lawsuit Against SLCPD In Fatal Shooting (pageviews: 1037)
- Deadly Officer-Involved Shooting In Roy Ruled Justified (pageviews: 985)
- Missing West Valley City Boy Found Safe (pageviews: 879)
- Meet Our Team (pageviews: 697)