Riverton High To Close For Deep Cleaning After Rise In COVID-19 Cases
RIVERTON, Utah – Officials with the Jordan School District said Riverton High School will close Thursday and Friday for deep cleaning after more than 15 COVID-19 cases were reported at the school.
Board members voted to close the school for deep cleaning during an emergency meeting Wednesday night. The meeting came after health officials said Riverton High had 16 students and a faculty member test positive for COVID-19, which exceeds the state’s threshold to close a school.
Of the school’s 2,800 students, 119 are on quarantine.
The doors at #Riverton High School are shut today and tomorrow for deep cleaning after 17 tested positive for #COVID19. 119 students of the school's 2800 are now in quarantine. Details on @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/SniwnkNCvD
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) September 17, 2020
All classes, virtual and in-person, will be canceled Thursday and virtual instruction will resume Friday.
Officials said students will not be allowed in the building either day, but staff may enter to pick up instructional materials, if needed.
In-person classes will resume on Monday.
The Salt Lake County Health Department recommended the school close to in-person learning for two weeks, but the decision was ultimately up to the school board.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 8563)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3901)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 3445)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 2621)
- Alleged fraud committed by top leaders at Layton Christian Academy - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2604)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2477)