Police: Suspect Killed After Shooting At Officers During Pursuit
MIDVALE, Utah – A suspect has been killed after officials said he fired on officers at the end of a vehicle pursuit in Midvale.
Sgt. Melody Cutler with the Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake said the incident began Friday evening at a Motel 6 on 7200 South, just east of Interstate 15.
Officers from the UPD and West Valley City Police Department found an SUV connected to a suspect wanted for parole violation at the motel.
They identified the suspect as 24-year-old Joseph Schultz.
Cutler said Schultz had been running from police for some time, and was involved in another pursuit just the day before.
When he saw police, they said he attempted to flee in the vehicle with three passengers inside. They were identified as 22-year-old Matthew Knowlden, 19-year-old Jeannie Brereton and 29-year-old Sasha Jones.
Officers were able to deploy a spike strip, which punctured the SUV tires.
Cutler said Schultz fled westbound, striking orange construction barrels and driving on the sidewalk.
The vehicle came to a stop at the intersection of 7200 South and Bingham Junction Boulevard, where Schultz and one of the woman ran southbound on foot.
Officials said Knowlden exited the vehicle and ran eastbound toward officers. Cutler said the 22-year-old brandished a handgun and fired at officers.
Officers returned fire, striking the suspect. Knowlden was transported to the hospital where he was declared dead.
No officers were hurt.
Protocol Team 1 has taken over the investigation.
Officials said it was not clear how many officers fired their service weapons.
The driver and two other passengers were apprehended by police. The driver had a lengthy criminal record, Cutler said, including involvement in several robberies and drive-by shootings.
It was not clear if the women faced any charges.
The incident came just one day after a man was shot by a UPD officer in Holladay after a skirmish. The suspect picked up the officer’s service weapon after it fell to the ground and pointed it at the officer.
At least one other officer fired on the man, who was transported to the hospital in serious to critical condition.
- Utah Family Rocked By COVID-19 Says They Can't Imagine Rationing Care (pageviews: 6289)
- Mystery Of Utah's Skinwalker Ranch Very Much Alive (pageviews: 6000)
- Police Investigating Domestic Violence Homicide In Midvale (pageviews: 4873)
- Hurricane Man Arrested After Allegedly Burning Toddlers With Hot Water (pageviews: 4042)
- Protesters Target State Epidemiologist Dr. Angela Dunn's Home (pageviews: 4006)
- 10 Utahns Have Died From COVID-19, Health Officials Report (pageviews: 3996)
- Close-Knit Polynesian Community Mourns Loss Of Another Member To COVID-19 (pageviews: 3972)
- Interactive Map Shows Risk Of Contracting COVID-19 At Events Based On Crowd Size (pageviews: 3808)
- Former West High School Principal To Defend Education License In Hearing (pageviews: 2496)