Governor Herbert Renews Utah State Of Emergency
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Governor Gary Herbert has issued an executive order, renewing Utah’s State of Emergency. The announcement came after the state hit record high COVID-19 cases Friday.
The previous order was scheduled to expire Saturday, Sept. 19.
“Under the new State of Emergency, the governor will only take certain executive actions, such as suspending statutes, if asked to do so by the Public Health and Economic Emergency Commission,” read a press release from the Governor’s office.
The Governor also issued brief renewals of statute and rule suspensions to allow Utah residents and agencies to prepare for the reactivation of the statutes and rules.
“These suspensions allow Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control licensees to maintain their licenses even if they close down for a period of time; suspend some requirements for using telehealth; suspend requirements that parole hearings be open to in-person participation; and allow flexibility to retired employees who have not been separated from employment from a public employer for one year to return to work on COVID-19 related issues without jeopardizing their retirement benefits,” the release continued.
The Utah Department of Health said the executive order has to be renewed each month.
The new order will take effect immediately and will remain in effect through Oct. 20, unless extended by the Utah State Legislature, or earlier if the Governor finds the threat of danger has passed or reduced.
Phased health guideline changes and mask mandates will be issued as public health orders under the Utah Department of Health.
- Parent Calls SLC School Board Emails 'Unprofessional' & 'Unethical' (pageviews: 23950)
- Man Arrested For DUI After Fatal Spanish Fork Crash (pageviews: 14502)
- Intermountain COVID-19 PSA: 'There's A War Going On' (pageviews: 5175)
- University Of Utah Doctors, Nurses Plead For Help As ICU Hits 99% Capacity (pageviews: 4175)
- Amazon Driver Accused Of Throwing, Damaging Layton Man's Flags (pageviews: 4055)
- Man Set Woman On Fire In Murray, Police Say; Suspect At Large (pageviews: 3448)
- Leaders Plead With Utahns To Do Their Part As State Reports 1,543 New COVID Cases (pageviews: 3333)
- Man Set Woman On Fire In Murray, Police Say; Suspect Arrested (pageviews: 2432)
- 'On The Brink': Utah Breaks New COVID-19 Record With 1,960 New Cases (pageviews: 2356)