Man Leads UHP On Chase In Tooele County, Steals Walmart Semitruck
MAGNA, Utah — A man has been taken into custody after he led Utah Highway Patrol troopers on a long chase in Tooele County, first in a car with stolen license plates, and then in a semitruck that was taken from a Walmart Distribution Center.
Trooper Mikki Vargas with the Utah Highway Patrol said the incident began around 1 p.m. Saturday when a trooper pulled over a black Cadillac Escalade on eastbound I-80 in Tooele County. When the trooper ran the vehicle’s plates, she discovered they were stolen and she called in backup.
But before backup could arrive, two passengers got out of the car and ran, and the driver took off.
Vargas said the trooper who made the traffic stop focused her attention on the two runaway passengers, who were eventually apprehended, while the backup searched for the Cadillac Escalade.
Tooele deputies eventually located the vehicle and initiated a pursuit.
Spikes were placed on the highway, but Vargas said the driver avoided them by driving the wrong way on the eastbound on-ramp from SR-38.
Officers then terminated the pursuit due to danger.
Soon after, police got a call from a Walmart distribution center that someone had stolen their semitruck and trailer.
Vargas said officers located the semitruck and spiked it several times, but it kept going.
The vehicle eventually lost a wheel, stopping at the intersection of SR-201 and 9180 West in Magna, where the suspect was taken into custody.
The suspect’s identity has not been released.
- Parent Calls SLC School Board Emails 'Unprofessional' & 'Unethical' (pageviews: 23950)
- Man Arrested For DUI After Fatal Spanish Fork Crash (pageviews: 14502)
- Intermountain COVID-19 PSA: 'There's A War Going On' (pageviews: 5175)
- University Of Utah Doctors, Nurses Plead For Help As ICU Hits 99% Capacity (pageviews: 4175)
- Amazon Driver Accused Of Throwing, Damaging Layton Man's Flags (pageviews: 4055)
- Man Set Woman On Fire In Murray, Police Say; Suspect At Large (pageviews: 3448)
- Leaders Plead With Utahns To Do Their Part As State Reports 1,543 New COVID Cases (pageviews: 3333)
- Man Set Woman On Fire In Murray, Police Say; Suspect Arrested (pageviews: 2432)
- 'On The Brink': Utah Breaks New COVID-19 Record With 1,960 New Cases (pageviews: 2356)